Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Can I stop brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Default Can I stop brake dust

I am maticulous about cleaning my wheels i spend about 30-45mins every 3days. I hate brake dust and am always looking for things to remove it. I was looking for things to clean it and protect it longer and was wondering if this stuff would work well

IF not is there anything else that can help me save some days, enjoy driving my car more and cleaning less.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:42 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Can I stop brake dust

just dont use your brakes and you wont have brake dust.....jk. You may want to look into different brake pads, I think EBC makes some pads that wont give you as much brake dust.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:13 PM

Thanks, any ideas on that wheel shield stuff?

Old 03-11-2008, 01:48 AM
1st Gear

get dark wheels so you don't notice. I have the same problem with the dust. I'm going to need some new pads soon and I was thinking about getting some high quality ones.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:46 PM
3rd Gear

Never used that stuff, but it's really hard to get ride of brake dust. One of the best things has been to use a sealant on the wheels, it lets less dust accumulate, & makes the wheels easer to clean.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:33 PM

Thanks im gonna try some type of wheel sealant next wash. anything to help clean them

Old 03-14-2008, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

Wheel Cleaners: [/b]
It is important to keep wheel surfaces clean, as well as improving the overall look of the vehicle leaving them dirty can have many adverse effects; the black powder coating on the surface of your wheel has four components; a static friction charge (caused by the pads contact with the rotors) that attracts dirt, road tar and other contaminants kicked up by both your vehicle and others. Friction heats the pads and callipers to extremely high temperatures, and causes tiny particles of hot metal to wear off and sent flying in different directions.
[/b]
Wheel Cleaning - http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f35/wheel-cleaners-1201.html

Old 03-20-2008, 03:44 AM
1st Gear

I have The zimmerman drilled rotors and pads (i think on the pads lol) and it cut down on the brake dust on my rims. Next brake job look into a little higher quality pads and it will be better. and some sort of sealant should help your rims clean better but the dust will still pour on them.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:21 AM

I have Zimmermann Cross Drilled also and I have PBR Ceramic pads and they produce very very little dust and they are very good for my type of driving. I also recommend putting wax on your wheels to protect your wheels since brake dust comes off and on to your metal wheels about about 1500 deg's and over time that will damage your wheels and pit them.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

I think you can buy a some brake dust shield online. Car-stuff.com have them. you can check it if you want.

Quick Reply: Can I stop brake dust