Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 - Resetting computer to pass inspection ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:34 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 - Resetting computer to pass inspection ???

On my 2.8 A6 avant quattro I am getting the followingComputer Code - P0432 - Main catalyst. Since i am getting the car inspected soon, how long do i have to wait after the code is reset (and the check engine light then turns off) to pass an inspection for the car.I was told you have to drive a certain amount of milesor have the car running for a certain amount of time after the computer is reset in order to pass an inspection.

please advise

Old 03-03-2008, 12:44 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: A6 - Resetting computer to pass inspection ???

I have heard different stories about that but can't see how they can tell when it was reset. I do it each year on my 87 A6 - it throws a air pump code after a few drives so I just reset it before going to the inspection station. Somday I'll attempt to fix it. The only down side is that if it threw another code I would not know it until I connected my VAGCom. And the damn ligh tis annoying....

Old 03-03-2008, 01:46 PM
2nd Gear

just clear the code with vagcom when you pull up to where ever you get your car inspected and it should stay off while they are doing what they gotta do to inspect it

Old 03-03-2008, 02:13 PM
3rd Gear

It may or may not work. In California, smog machine not only checks for any CELs, but it also checks for a readiness code. When the CELs are reset, ECU cycles through certain criteria, such as time it has been driven, information fromall emission related equipment, and duration and etc. Then it sets a readiness code once everything checks out. If the readiness code is not set, then you can't pass smog check.

The readiness code may set after you reset the CELs, but you need to verify with a code reader that has readiness checking capability.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:50 PM
4th Gear

I believe it needs to run about 50 miles. I was told 150. I had mine reset and went straight to inspection and it could not read anything. It needs enough miles to get a read on the system but not enough for the cell to pop again.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:15 PM
3rd Gear

This is what Ross Tech says about readiness codes --

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tour/readiness.html

Old 03-04-2008, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

pi
ORIGINAL: hxgaser

It may or may not work. In California, smog machine not only checks for any CELs, but it also checks for a readiness code. When the CELs are reset, ECU cycles through certain criteria, such as time it has been driven, information fromall emission related equipment, and duration and etc. Then it sets a readiness code once everything checks out. If the readiness code is not set, then you can't pass smog check.

The readiness code may set after you reset the CELs, but you need to verify with a code reader that has readiness checking capability.
Sorry, but this is a myth. I have a bad cat monitor so the car throws a code after about 15 miles. I have twice reset the computer, driven to a 'test only' facility and passed with flying colors. There is no "readiness code."

Old 03-05-2008, 10:19 AM
3rd Gear

Well, good that yours passed, but mine didn't.There is a such thing as a readiness code. It is the indicator showing all emission related equipments are working correctly. Dealers even rely on readiness code for replacement of the catalytic converters and any other emmision related equipment. I can show you my code reader showing readiness information if you want...

It might be nice if you did some research before you completly put down other people's opinion. And in your case, you are dead wrong.

By the way, the cat monitor that you are talking about is called oxygen sensors.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:48 PM
3rd Gear

Hey Deucey -- hxgaser is right!

Ross-Tech clearly explains readiness codes.

If the shop you deal with dosen't look at them it dosen't mean they don't exist.
If that was the case I'd close my eyes everytime I passed a cop and he wouldn't see me.We all know that if I did that I'd get his attention when I hit something...

Old 03-06-2008, 09:37 AM
1st Gear

Does the Computer Code - P0432 - Main catalyst mean the drivers side cat is bad or just the oxygen sensor. if the cat is bad, can it damage the motor or effect performance and gas mileage?

Quick Reply: A6 - Resetting computer to pass inspection ???