Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car stalled...EPC, battery and check engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 10:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Car stalled...EPC, battery and check engine light on

Looking for some advice. Today while driving my 03' A4 1.8T the car literally died out of nowhere. The car turned off, but i still have power (radio, windows, etc.) which makes me think it's not the alternator. The check engine light is on, EPC light and battery light. When i try to turn the car on, it wines and i thought it was the timing belt. Checked the belt and it is still running and not broken. ANY IDEAS??? Won't start, tries to turn over but won't, strange sound. Thanks for any help.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:02 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Car stalled...EPC, battery and check engine light on

Have the codes read and post them. When cranking the engine,
does the interior lights dim?

Old 01-21-2007, 12:32 AM
2nd Gear

Just because your interior still functions doesnt mean that your alternator is still good. Your interior electricals draw a LOT less power than your engine. Check the voltage across your battery. Then, check yourignition control moduleconnections. And post what the specific codes are too.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:36 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: pec2402
Looking for some advice. Today while driving my 03' A4 1.8T the car literally died out of nowhere. The car turned off, but i still have power (radio, windows, etc.) which makes me think it's not the alternator. The check engine light is on, EPC light and battery light. When i try to turn the car on, it wines and i thought it was the timing belt. Checked the belt and it is still running and not broken. ANY IDEAS??? Won't start, tries to turn over but won't, strange sound. Thanks for any help.
Sounds like a similar situation Iencountered last yearwhile driving to work.The car just completely shut down and it would not start, it would turn and turn, but refuse to turn over.Ihad to get Audi to tow my car to the dealership and the result, a defective fuel pump.I noticed that your car is an 03' and Audi sent recall notifications for defective fuel pumps I believe for years 02, and 03 by VIN#. Contact Audi and find out if your VIN# lists under that particular recall.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:42 PM

remove the timing belt cover and check if the cams are rotating with the bottom end, although the belt might look like its ok it might have stripped the teeth on the bottom pulley so the bottom turns and the top dosnt hence the strange cranking sound like there is no compression ( its as bad as the timing belt snapping and since you cranked the engine chances are the valve damage is done ) I wish you good luck though

Old 01-23-2007, 01:31 AM
1st Gear

Well i had it towed to my mechanic who works strictly on foreign cars and whom i trust completely, therefore i don't know the exact codes that were showing up during the diagnostics test. However, he called me today and has already found the problem. Avant, good diagnosis b/c you are exactly right. The pulley went and and caused the belt to miss 8 cogs, or something like that. Anways, hoping that it didn't bend the valves. I wasn't driving fast at the time, does anyone know if this helps? What're the chances the valves are bent?

Also, thanks for everyones help especially the advice with the fuel pump. Being a new owner of the car i had no idea that there was a recall on the fuel pump for my particular model and when i called the dealer i found that i do need the fuel pump replaced. Thanks a lot, that is my nextstep in fixing a car that i've had for 2 months and only been able to drive for 2 weeks.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:35 AM
2nd Gear

100% Sorry to hear that.