Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Imperial to metric display changing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 04:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Imperial to metric display changing.

My car is 1999 Audi A6.
Does anyone know how to change permanently miles to kilometres displays using the vag com codes?
Thank you.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:06 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Imperial to metric display changing.

I did it. Disregard.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:53 PM
6th Gear

Care to tell us how? That way others who wish to know can do it also.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

My Pleasure:
The following information will allow you to change the language and country setting of the MFA computer on the dash board.
You will need access to the VAG-COM tool which your dealer has or you can buy it from www.ross-tech.com. By changing the country code, you will be able to change the display from miles to kilometers, gallons to litres, and vice versa. You will also be able to change the 12-hour clock to a 24-hour clock.
This information was originally posted by Sean Bartnik @ VWvortex on the B5 Passat forum. My thanks to Sean for allowing me to quote it here.
There was another thread recently where the subject of changing the language and units displayed on the dash trip computer came up. I replied to a gentleman named Rainer Studnitzka who offered the necessary codes via e-mail. Having just successfully done the switch thanks to Rainer, here is how to do it with a VAG-COM tool:
To change languages (messages such as Please Refuel, Bootlid Open, etc):
• Connect your VAG-COM and turn the ignition on.
• Click the Select Module button
• Click the button for module 17 - Instruments
• Click the Adaptation button
• Click up to channel 4. In the box for channel 4 is a number. This is your language code.
• Click the up or down buttons next to that box to change the language code.
• The available codes are:
1: German
2: English
3: French
4: Italian
5: Spanish
6: Portuguese
7: Czech
If your display is currently in English naturally there will be a 2 in the box. That's so you make sure you are looking at the right one Once you have the code in, press the Save button and exit out. You can test it by starting the engine and then opening the trunk. The message should be in whatever language you chose.
Changing the units: It is also possible to change the units displayed on the dash based on a country code.
Here's how:
• Follow the steps above to get into the Instruments module (module 17).
• Click the Recode button.
• Write down the code number in the box. Don't mess with the Workshop Code box.
• The third digit in the code number is the country code. The codes are:
1: Europe (EU)
2: USA
3: Canada
4: Great Britain
5: Japan
6: Saudi Arabia
7: Australia
• Change the third digit to match the country code you want to use, then Save and exit.
The changes will be displayed on the trip computer immediately. Make sure you write down the original code before you mess with it so that if you accidentally erase it, you'll know what to put back. I changed mine to Europe. This changes all units on the dash from English to metric units. MPG goes to L/100Km, temperature goes from deg. F to deg. C, average speed is in Km/H instead of MPH, and the odometer display goes from miles to Km. As a style note, if you want English units but want the outside temp. display to be in Celsius, use the Great Britain code. I didn't try the Canada code so I don't know how it differs from the Europe code. The Japan code has a different gas mileage measurement than the Europe code. Thanks to Rainer for the codes! Go mod yer instruments
Follow-up posted by Bartnik, 5:48 AM 8-6-2001
Hi all,
Found out another benefit to this trick: when you change the country code from the USA code to the Europe code, it changes the clock from a 12-hr to 24-hr display. I've been wanting to do that for a long time. I didn't notice it until this morning because my clock cycle was 12 hours off of what it should be (since the USA clock has no AM or PM). So this morning I saw the time was 20:19 and I was very happy The other country settings like Great Britain may do this too. Go try 'em and see.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:49 PM
6th Gear

ahhh yes, that's off of ross-tech's site. I have seen that many a times, I didn't even notice the part you were requesting though.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:05 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy

Hi I tried to change the MPG to L/km but when I clicked recode module there were 3 boxes, SOFTWARE CODING, WORKSHOP CODE, or IMPORTER NUMBER. Can you tell me on which one should I change the last number so I can get metric units?
Thanks so much!!