Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are some symptoms of a bad motor/transmission mount?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 06:44 AM
1st Gear
Default What are some symptoms of a bad motor/transmission mount?

Okay so I've posted several times with reports of a weird clicking noise coming from the engine bay when the car is shifting weight during braking/accelerating but I've never gotten any real conclusive info.

I'm thinking it's a bad engine or tranny mount (does such a thing exist?) so I'm wondering IF it were a bad mount (of either type) what are some symptoms I'd notice?

Old 11-25-2006, 11:55 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: What are some symptoms of a bad motor/transmission mount?

My car Audi A4 1.8T FWD 96'

Tranny mount exists. I have broken it during accident, had to replace from scrap yard. After that replaced both engine mounts also. Now engine is not moving during acceleration/deceleration, as it was moving before. Open engine bay, put a hand brake, put 1st gear and try to release a clutch a little and press it back (ask you friend to do that, because with engine on it is difficult to be in two places at once) and check how engine moves and if mounts are ok. Engine mounts are from left and right of engine. You can see the one from drivers side (also tranny mount is visible by the use of flashlight), if your car with turbo, then the other engine mount from passenger's side is not so visible (usually you can see a grey rubber cover on that mount).

Old 11-26-2006, 02:37 AM
3rd Gear

when my engine mount went out it sounded like a clunk when i made a hard turn.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:26 AM

yup o get weard clunking sometimes when i start moving and also when i swich gears and release the clutch its really sloppy

Old 12-03-2006, 12:33 PM
1st Gear

Hello,

I just got a similar problem with the following symptoms (and I found the solution):
- a clunk when turning to the right
- a clunk when accelerating or decelerating.
The Audi dealer service told me that's its either a falty brake bolt or a faulty control arm. Bulshit! this has nothing to do with these cause. Here is a test a good technician with 30 years experience told me to do:
- press the brake and the accelerator at the same time.
- check if you ear the same clunk.
The idea here is to get the motor to move during the acceleration but being constrained by the brake. If you ear the clunk, then there is a hight probablility that it's an engine mount on the side you ear the noise.
I did the tests, got the clunk on the right side. After lifting the car and checking underneath, I discovered that the engine mount was loose, the mount wasn't bolted right. I bolted it and then no more clunk. The solution as proposed by the dealer would have costed me 500$. The real problem was solved in 1/2 hour and 0$.

Hope this will help,
cheers

Old 12-03-2006, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: didierphmartin

Hello,

I just got a similar problem with the following symptoms (and I found the solution):
- a clunk when turning to the right
- a clunk when accelerating or decelerating.
The Audi dealer service told me that's its either a falty brake bolt or a faulty control arm. Bulshit! this has nothing to do with these cause. Here is a test a good technician with 30 years experience told me to do:
- press the brake and the accelerator at the same time.
- check if you ear the same clunk.
The idea here is to get the motor to move during the acceleration but being constrained by the brake. If you ear the clunk, then there is a hight probablility that it's an engine mount on the side you ear the noise.
I did the tests, got the clunk on the right side. After lifting the car and checking underneath, I discovered that the engine mount was loose, the mount wasn't bolted right. I bolted it and then no more clunk. The solution as proposed by the dealer would have costed me 500$. The real problem was solved in 1/2 hour and 0$.

Hope this will help,
cheers

When doing this and you have an automatic dont rev the engine to high cause you can mess up the transmission
like i did in my truck

Old 12-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Al_
1st Gear

I need to replace the mounts on my A4 soon.

I did the brake/gas test and had about 2 inches of front-to-back play. My buddy thought this was normal, but I had to remind him that this was not a Ford.

Can anyone reccomend a performance mount?

Old 12-15-2006, 05:04 PM
3rd Gear

I have a 98 tip 1.8t - I don't have any of the symptoms that have been discussed. My "problem" is that I have a vibration when the car is at idle. Can motor mounts be at fault? This is not a major vibration just a small one. But, I can feel it and visually see the steering wheel shake like its Michel J. Fox. Feels like the engine is out of balance, or do 1.8t just vibrate a lot more than other cars

Don't know if its a problem or

Old 09-04-2019, 07:43 AM
Default Did This ever get solved ? I have same vibration on tickover

Did you ever solve this . . I have same vibration ?
Originally Posted by akielb
I have a 98 tip 1.8t - I don't have any of the symptoms that have been discussed. My "problem" is that I have a vibration when the car is at idle. Can motor mounts be at fault? This is not a major vibration just a small one. But, I can feel it and visually see the steering wheel shake like its Michel J. Fox. Feels like the engine is out of balance, or do 1.8t just vibrate a lot more than other cars

Don't know if its a problem or