Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Burnouts bad for an automatic?

Old 10-22-2006, 06:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Are Burnouts bad for an automatic?

I have a friend who will depress the brake on his automatic all the way and slam on the gas for a few seconds before letting off the brake and taking off.
Also, in my auto volvo I would occasionally rev up in Neutral and drop into Drive... but now the transmission on the volvo is RIP... coincidence?

anyways, are either one of these bad? I can't imagine they're good. How bad is each one for automatics? is it worth the little jump you would get off the line?

also, since 1.8T's don't get boost until higher RPMs, does this affect anything? would brake revving get rid of the low RPM lag?

Old 10-22-2006, 06:54 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Are Burnouts bad for an automatic?

ORIGINAL: euphoriA4

I have a friend who will depress the brake on his automatic all the way and slam on the gas for a few seconds before letting off the brake and taking off.
Also, in my auto volvo I would occasionally rev up in Neutral and drop into Drive... but now the transmission on the volvo is RIP... coincidence?

anyways, are either one of these bad? I can't imagine they're good. How bad is each one for automatics? is it worth the little jump you would get off the line?

also, since 1.8T's don't get boost until higher RPMs, does this affect anything? would brake revving get rid of the low RPM lag?
Of course its bad. Tell your friend hes a ****** dumbass. When he does that hes not only killing his tranny but hes killiing his engine and wearing down heavily on the hydrolics that his brake system is made up of The 1.8t builds boost early rather than later if it is stock. Neutral drops are also idiotic. You and your friend should be shot in the knee caps and be forced to forgive your license until you take a general common sense class on automobiles.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

You and your friend should be shot in the knee caps

will do.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:57 PM
2nd Gear

Lol. the dropping it from neutral to drive is a horrible, HORRIBLE idea. as for the other one, its called a break stand. and it isnt horible bad for your car. its still not good, but dont just stand on ur break and roast the tires for 5 minutes. you see in dragraces. when they stay still but roast the tires before a run? thats a break stand. the rear breaks hold the tires still while the engine over powers the front breaks (FWD car) and the front wheels spin.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:39 PM
1st Gear

usually in drag racing people use line lock to warm the tires

Old 10-22-2006, 11:30 PM
2nd Gear

Thats true also. but the drags i generally go to are the wednesday opens. so random people with ricers and mustangs and such go there. roll through the water pit. and light em up.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:14 AM
1st Gear

the brake stand is not horrible for the car like Audicross stated. an auto tranny has a toque converter. there is no mechanical connection between the engine and transmission. instead the torque converter hs two plates with kinda like turbine blades. these plates are opposed and have heavy viscus fluid filled in between. the kenetic force of the fluid transfers rotation from one to another. an eccessivey long one might overheat and roast the converter fluid. its still abuse in any case.

a brake stand is a good way to warp your brake rotors though.

neutral drop...arugh! i think the above post have addresed this one allready.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:44 AM
2nd Gear

Klint. i have to say. that was like dead on. good description.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:51 AM
5th Gear

we need more noobs like klint, who know their stuff, to offset all the typical ones lol

ya power braking/break stand/line lock/whatever you wana call it isn't too horibly bad but its not something i would do a lot. (tho it is quite fun in all your friends POS cars) and the nuetral drop is just plain stupid. you'll most likely *** something up real quick doing that one

Old 10-23-2006, 02:54 AM
1st Gear

well, in that case I would like to thank everyone for saving my audi from ever getting neutral dropped on account of my ignorance

so brake stands are definitely not good, but doing a 2-3 second one every once in a while won't do any damage? If it would wear out my brakes a little faster that'd be different than if it would warp my rotors, cuz that's no laughing matter. anyways, thanks all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are Burnouts bad for an automatic?