S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

TCM (Transmission Control Module)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 06:51 PM
1st Gear
Default TCM (Transmission Control Module)

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience in replacing this on their own or through mechanic.

Bought my 2000 S4 tiptronic about 6 weeks ago with only 25k miles. Last week started having problems where transmission felt like it was stuck in 4th gear (maybe the infamous "limp mode" i've heard of?). The dealer in Chicago where I was on business reset the computer and it worked fine for about 3 hours (in the interim of course they found about $2,500 worth of repairs... of which I did $1,500 - waterpump).

So now its back in the shop in Michigan because the transmission is acting up again and they're saying I need a new TCM. They're quoting me about $1,400 and some change ---- $1,200 of which is the cost of the part. (chicago dealership quoted me $2,500 btw --- that's just ridiculous. I know their labor rate is higher, but they're basically quoting me an addition 7-8 hrs if you assume the cost of the part is comparable. I really feel like I was hosed when they charged me 1,500 to replace the water pump --- 300 dollar part --- and they tried to do it again if I turned my car around to drive it back to them. McGrath Audi really needs to be looked at closely. They were very courteous and prompt - but I am fairly convinced I was bent over with that pricing).

I guess I'm just wondering what other's people experience is with this... if its a fair price? Do these TCM's go out regularly on Tiptronics? Has anyone ever done this on their own?
thanks in advance for any feedback.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: TCM (Transmission Control Module)

ORIGINAL: tmorrow24

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience in replacing this on their own or through mechanic.

I guess I'm just wondering what other's people experience is with this... if its a fair price? Do these TCM's go out regularly on Tiptronics? Has anyone ever done this on their own?
thanks in advance for any feedback.
Dunno about regularly. But have seen quite a few cases. Replacing Tranny Chip is fairly simple and straitfwd.
Howto Replace Tranny Chip

Old 05-30-2006, 07:16 PM
1st Gear

Also .....
Tip ECU Removal Instructions

Old 05-30-2006, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

Interesting... thank you!

4 questions come to mind:

1. Is Tranny Chip and TCU same thing? or different?
2. Were the two links you sent me for same procedure ... just one with pics and one described in PDF?
3. Where can I buy TCM?
4. What else do I need to do procedure? I've read something about VAG Com?

thanks so much... this is very helpful.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: tmorrow24

Interesting... thank you!

4 questions come to mind:

1. Is Tranny Chip and TCU same thing? or different?
2. Were the two links you sent me for same procedure ... just one with pics and one described in PDF?
3. Where can I buy TCM?
4. What else do I need to do procedure? I've read something about VAG Com?

thanks so much... this is very helpful.
1. Same
2. Same
3. mmmm .... try clairparts.com or ecsTuning.com or dealership [:-]
4. Don't think you need to VAG anything. Disconnect the battery before replacement. When done, keep your key in ignition in ON position (cluster lights on) for around 3 minutes, and then start the car.
Someone else can chime in for VAG procedure.

Hope you get it fixed. Its frusturating.

Old 06-04-2006, 06:17 AM
1st Gear

So if I were to buy a Giac tranny chip would that fix the problem instead of replacing the stock TCM?

Old 06-04-2006, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: slvrs4

So if I were to buy a Giac tranny chip would that fix the problem instead of replacing the stock TCM?
Its possible. GIAC will only upagrade your existing Tranny module. Some users reported the problem fixed with this upgrade.