Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering rack clunking

Old 05-21-2006, 10:19 PM
1st Gear
Default steering rack clunking

hello all.
maybe you can help me with my latest fiasco.
when turning the steering wheel from full right lock back to the middle, at low speed, i can hear a clicking noise from under the driver's side front. (RHD).
when turning left of loose ground like gravel etc., you can hear clunking also at low speed.
i thought it was another control arm but when my mechanic looked at it, he said it could be a worn steering "knuckle" or it could be wear in the steering rack itself. there is no leaking fluid.
he said that when he had the knuckle out, he couldn't find any sign of wear on it but it could be just not under enough pressure to show up until its in the car. he said if there is wear in the rack, i would be better off to leave it alone because it may never be right again if it is interfeered with.

my questions are this-
are knucles known to wear on A4s. if so how big a job is it to replace?
if it is the rack, how big a job is it to replace it complete (i'm assuming i can find a scrap one).
can i take one from different A4s older/newer/petrols/no-quattros etc??

Also, since my mechanic went at the rack, the steering wheel is off centre by about 5' to the right. usually this is a sign of something greater at fault than tracking. all my control arms are tip top and if i get the car tracked and the ssteering wheel is still off centre can the problem be fixed by having the tracking guy set the wheel 5' to the left before he starts?? it is actaully something i've wondered about before because i've had several old cars with this problem.

i'm more worried about the guy who's buying the car from me because i'm desperate for the cash because i need it for a deposit for a house- urgently and he's on the verge of calling off the whole deal. obviously, i don't want to sell him a dickie car even if he did accept the arguement of my mechanic.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:43 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: steering rack clunking

bump

Old 05-22-2006, 06:46 AM
4th Gear

knuckls or tie rod ends as they are known, do go out on all cars, they are pretty easy to replace and require an allinment afterwerds. If it the rack your kinda fecked, that thing is buryed in the car and near imposible to get to. My guess is its just the tie rod ends. Have him take it to his mechanic and ask spesificly about the tie rod ends, I have a feeling this is the culprit. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2006, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

fecked no, less!!! i'll try that. thanks lad!

Old 05-22-2006, 05:06 PM

C/V joint

Old 05-22-2006, 05:57 PM
4th Gear

Sounds like tie-rod ends to me.

I had the same issues, loose steering, noise, and steering wheel off-center. It was bad tie-rod ends.

Find a new mechanic first, or just DIY, it is an easy repair.

If your mechanic couldn't figure that out, you are in trouble.

just jack the car up so the front wheel is off the ground. Grab it with your hands on left and right, and try to move it (towards you, away from you). If it moves, your tie rod ends are bad.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: acetrebo

Sounds like tie-rod ends to me.

I had the same issues, loose steering, noise, and steering wheel off-center. It was bad tie-rod ends.

Find a new mechanic first, or just DIY, it is an easy repair.

If your mechanic couldn't figure that out, you are in trouble.

just jack the car up so the front wheel is off the ground. Grab it with your hands on left and right, and try to move it (towards you, away from you). If it moves, your tie rod ends are bad.

i'll try that first thing tomorrow. i know it's not a CV joint, i've had those go in the past and they are a much louder clacking type noise. when you say tie rod ends, can they also be called track rod ends, ie for tracking the wheels, or is that a different part?

Old 05-22-2006, 10:36 PM
4th Gear

tie rod ends

Old 05-23-2006, 03:37 AM
1st Gear

i just got my b5 back yesterday for the front right hand tie rod end being replaced. Easy job but cost me AU$280, US$200

Old 05-23-2006, 03:38 AM
4th Gear

sound about right for a shop to charge.