Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 Tiptronic transmission problem

Old 03-12-2003, 12:55 PM
Default A4 Tiptronic transmission problem

Newby here looking for some info/ advice on a problem with my wife's A4 2.4SE Tiptronic.

When the car is in neutral or park the car runs fine, idling flatly at about 800 rpm with no up vibes or variations.

However when the car hot and is put into drive or reverse it will intermittently drop the revs for a fraction of a second and the car feels as if it has either momentarily changed the amount of force going through the transmission.

Not much to go on I know but any suggestions would be welcome. Incidentally the car does not show these symptoms when cold/ cool.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Old 04-01-2003, 01:35 AM
1st Gear

wow that is weird, cause mine is having problems also, but in the opposite way, whencold it is more likely, the engine revs fall below idle when quickly coming to a stop, and the gears slip. it all seems bad, and about the revs falling it is as if the engine is fighting the engine to stay running, and the engine has stalled a few times, it is an automatic... A4 98.5 1.8t..if anybody knows anything please tell me...

Old 04-23-2003, 12:44 AM
1st Gear

ya, i got my tranny back just now, and i don;t stall anymore, and also, the car runs great, the problem was that the fluid was not changed and the filter was cloged, and because of this, there was also at the same time, an internal leak, which got bigger due to the pressure and the seal needed to be replaced, along with the filter, so word to the wise, Get the fluid replaced every 20 k miles, it really makes a difference. By the way, there is no way to check the fluid from the top of the car, the only way to get to it, is by lifting the car, and opening the port at the bottom of the transmission. if u let it get too bad, the seal will cost 125 bucks, and along with non fixable damage to gears and syncros, and also labor is kinda hard, because it costed my 350 for labor, cause it was 8 hours of labor, and that is a good deal for labor cost. Take care of Your Audi or auto union vehicle!!!!

Old 04-24-2003, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

that is a good deal on labor!!!!! * hours would normally cost between $400and $500.

Old 04-26-2003, 09:47 PM
1st Gear

I am having a similar proplem with my 2.8 5-speed. When I come to a hard stop, the revs drop to about 200, and it fights for only a second to come back to about 800 revs. It has never stalled but I wonder if I have same problem. Hmmm........

Old 05-31-2003, 08:48 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 05-31-2003, 08:49 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 06-02-2003, 01:10 PM
Site Moderator

<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

"Get the fluid replaced every 20 k miles, it really makes a difference."</P></BLOCKQUOTE>

Audi tiptronic tranny fluid is considered a "lifetime" fluid. An audi tech told me to have it replaced every 100K (had it done at 90K)just for piece of mind. There is no reason to have it changed every 20K. Just maintain it by having it done close to 100K, unless you are having problems.</P>

A499 and STI5: The prob with your revs could also be your idle stabilization valve, or possible your MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) or even an oxygen sensor. They all have a part to play in measuring fuel mix ratio which could be making your car run lean and making your car stutter, hard to start, or cause surging. Don't forget the fuel filter too or the Coolant Temp Sensor, which adusts fuel flow at ignition based on the temp of the car (more prevailant on cold starts).</P>

Old 06-03-2003, 12:44 AM
1st Gear

Hey thanks brrman. I appreciate the tip. </P>

By the way CarGuy I live in Colorado.</P>

Old 07-27-2003, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

<font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">reverse grinding</font>

I have a 03, A4 3.0 with 2k miles on it. I have cvt. going from park to reverse produced an ungodly sound like a lound crunching sound. i put back in park and it stopped. same thing happend 1/2 hour later. i took car into dealer who never heard of this problem and found nothing wrong. anyone else experince this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A4 Tiptronic transmission problem