Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

Anybody burning Oil on 2.0T engine?

Old 03-09-2013, 07:12 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Anybody burning Oil on 2.0T engine?

I have a 2011 2.0 and it has started burning oil. I found a post on the A5 thread about a qt/ltr every 5,000 miles.
Is anybody else having this problem and what was the remedy if you have one please?
Thanks

Old 03-09-2013, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

See my post in the A5 thread on the subject. It'll be the one from today (03.09.13). As I mentioned there, a quart in 5,000 miles is not a problem for any engine in any car. If you are concerned though, there is a TSB that's been very successful (so far) on the ones I've done to this point. Although those were burning a quart in 400-1,000 miles.
With the 10,000 mile oil change intervals you will have to add oil at some point, especially on a turbocharged or supercharged engine. There is a similar fix for the 3.0 Supercharged engines with an updated pressure regulating valve (PCV), and ECM reflash (and it also has, so far, taken care of the problem) where the 3.2L (basically same engine without the blower) we've seen no oil consumption complaints.
Naturally aspirated engines don't have oil burning complaints because they have very little to no crankcase pressure. A turbo/supercharger will pressurize the crankcase to some extent and force oil past the rings and valve guides, and into the PCV system. It's the nature of the beast. Had the exact same complaint back in the early '80's on turbo 2.3 T-Bird's where the N/A 2.3 didn't use oil. Just using that as an example. Anyways, see the A5 thread.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your answer. I hope to keep it for a while and didn't want an engine problem. Time for tires and am not going to pay $1,000 for tires if I was going to get rid of it.
As always, this bulletin board comes up with useful advice and knowledge.
I read the A5 post.
Thanks again from Florida!!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

I purchased a 2009 A4 with the 2.0L turbo engine; purchase from a dealer in FL as a CPO car with 51,000 miles. Here is my story- may be a bit long winded.
Over impression after 6500 miles; a great car, a huge change from the 1996 A4 Quattro I traded, but with a significant oil consumption problem. After driving about 200 miles - a low oil light came on. Stopped at the next gas station to purchase oil. Opened the engine hood- found & removed the oil fill cap, could not find a dip stick & became confused.
Read the users manual- described the MMI system, (I had been unaware of it). Operated the MMI system to confirm the low oil level. Message was "no oil information avaialble at this time". Became really conerned as the users manul said not to overfill the crankcase. Added 1/2 qt of oil and got underway on I4 with the MMI display still showing ( "no oil information available"). The display began to show the oil level after driving about 30 miles. Showed about 1/2 full and although I felt relieved, I have monitored oil consumption since and started researching this issue using this forum and Consumer Reports.
For the drive from FL to my residence in Maine: averaged about 70mph on interstate roads; oil consumption estimated at 1800-2000 miles per qt. Based on forum comments- not great but not a disaster.
Did an oil change upon returning to Maine at a local shop. Found a black plug next to the oil filter that looked like the top of a tube that could accomodate a dip stick. Confirmed this using this forum. Ordered the dip stick recommended, have recieved it and have confirmed that readings correlate to the levels shown on the MMI. (Nice to have since electronic fails do occur.) After the oil change, I set the trip odometer to zero so that oil consumption could be monitored. Interestingly, after the oil change, it again took some 30-40 miles for the MMI to begin showing the oil level and at that time the level was up to the " max" mark, 1 qt over the minimum/add oil mark & as expected.
Driving around my area in Maine, the oil consumption trend looked like the car was going to go through 1 qt in some 800 miles!! A real problem but based on other reports in this forum, was not a surprise. (An unanswered question I have is why 800 miles around town in Maine -yet over 1800 miles/qt when returning from FL to Maine? This return was in November-(warmer temps?) and constant highway speeds.)
I found that Audi put out a service bulletin in Nov. 2011 indicating that oil consumption with this engine could be a problem and recommended 2 possible solutions; change the PCV valve as a first step and, if not successful, change the piston rings as step 2.
I have just gone through the first step with the closest Audi dealer in Maine. They indicated that they have done step 1 on many such cars, and had the pcv valves in stock for this. Upon examining the car, they had to order a different p/n that would match the software interface required on this car. (The difference may be due to FL being the original point of sale for the car, rather than some more northern state.)
In any case, Step 1 was completed few weeks ago. Again, I set the odometer to zero and have continued to monitor oil consumption. Again, it took some 3o-40 miles for the MMI to display oil information. To date, I have put on some 250 miles and an early estimate on oil use suggests it to be in the 1300 mile/qt range. Certainly an improvement, but in my mind still unacceptable. I do oil changes every 5000 and am looking for better than 2500/qt. Prior to leaving the dealership, after the PCV valve change, I asked the service rep how aften this PCV change alone resulted in satisfactory oil use. The response was that Step 2 had been done by them in 2 of 100 Step1's tried. I may have to go this route and they seemd willing to accept that this could be necessary.
I found the folks I worked with at this dealership open with their comments and knowledgeable on this topic. A clean complimentary car was provided for my use while the PCV change was being done- takes about 3 hours as they also change a crankcase gasket.) To date, I'm very satified with this dealership.
As a side point, if one looks at A4 user reviews in Consumer Reports, the A4 negative comments for the 2009 model relate to this topic alone- (some are really negative). As the model years move from 2009 to 2012, user reviews have turned positive on this topic so it seems to me that Audi has been aware of this problem and responded positively to it.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

The turbos all use lots of oil as oil is sent into the turbo intake-if you pull off the intake line at the top right of motor you will note the rubber pipe is coated on the inside! I learned this the expensive way when the dealer did not tighten the line clamp which blew off at speed. There was so much oil I thought I had blown the turbo-$750 worth of tests later I was told oil bypass to air intake line is normal and my pressure and systems were fine! Service advisers at Owasco in Toronto are not to be trusted!!!!!!

Old 03-10-2013, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

So which oil do I buy? Mobil 1 but what vescosity?

Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 AM
1st Gear
Default Oil Viscosity

The manual recommends 5W-40. I use this for either synthetic Castrol or Mobil 1.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:42 AM
1st Gear

Hit the wrong key and my thoughts on Turbo oil consumption may not have been posted. So this is a repeat. Oil consumption issues for this turbo engine,as described in Consumer Reports, show that Audi has apparently made improvements after 2009 related to this problem. They show above average satisfaction related Engine Problems from 2012 model year owners. Ol consumption does not show as an issue. Very different from comments on 2009. I do accept that turbos use more oil than non-turbo, but clearly, Audi has made improvements here. I still feel 1300 miles/qt is unacceptable.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

2009 A4 2.0T also...getting ~2k per qt

Old 12-02-2013, 12:31 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy burning oil in 2011 Q5

I have constantly had to add oil to my 2011 Q5, I don't go but 3000 miles and it tells me to add a quart. I have never had this in any vehicle before.
My understanding is that the new synthetic oils should last for 10,000 miles before changing. I maintain my vehicle with regularly scheduled check ups, can't see any oil leak. the audi service writer tells me that this is "normal" I'm not buying it...anyone know what the deal is here?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody burning Oil on 2.0T engine?