B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Loud squeak/creak while turning steering wheel right + humm while turning left...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:25 PM
2nd Gear
Default Loud squeak/creak while turning steering wheel right + humm while turning left...

Hey guys,

So this has been getting progressively worse over the past month or so, when I turn my steering wheel to the right there is a relatively loud squeak or creaking noise. If I do it when the car is not moving it seems to be more intense.

I did some searching and found lots of threads mentioning TREs or spring clock but I don't think it is either of those things, the noise can be heard inside and outside the car, it seems to be coming from the steering column/rack itself, not at the wheel inside and not at the TRE and I dont think its a low power steering fluid noise.

What is in between the wheel and the rack that could be making this noise? I think I read something about a U-joint? I could get a video of the noise if that would help.

I should also note that when driving if I turn the wheel to the left, even ever so slightly I start to hear a humming noise. Originally I thought it was the right cv joint (torn boot) or wheel bearing but the noise happens even if there is no shift in weight of the car, no real load on either of those parts...Its like just having the wheel to the left is causing the humm...

Also to be noted is that I noticed the left inner tie rod needs to be changed but I dont think it is directly related to the noise, the outers are both new.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Old 08-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Former Sponsor

I wonder if it's the top suspension strut mounts, one or both making that noise. They are located at the top of the strut units just under the inner fender well area. When you open your hood and look to the left and right area above where the wheels are, that's the area I'm trying to describe. If so those are 40.92 each and 2-3 days away to order in.

I didn't find the U joint steering shaft sold seperately, it seems to be part of the steering column. Here's the interesting part, it's 66.22 and 2-3 days away also. But this is for the Presta version column, p/n is 8D0-419-502. This sounds too inexpensive, so it would be a good idea for you to look at yours and get me the p/n off that if you believe it's bad.

So it makes this noise if you aren't moving and turn the wheel lock to lock in both directions?

Old 08-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Tech Guru

i was thinking strut mount as well and possibly wheel bearing starting to make noise

for the other i would have to hear then noise

Old 08-07-2012, 07:21 PM
2nd Gear

After listening around I think it may actually be the driver side inner tie rod. When sitting in the driver seat it makes it sound like it's coming from the steering column but I think it may be that inner tie rod. I actually have the part on hand I just need the damn adapter to remove the inner tie rod.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:23 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Nevalite
I actually have the part on hand I just need the damn adapter to remove the inner tie rod.
I'll bet you already have the special tool you need. Just take the boot off, turn the wheel all the way to the right so the left inner tie rod is out of the rack as far as it will go. Put one wrench (don't remember the size) on the rack so you don't stress it, then put one of these on the tire rod end. It's worked for me, several times.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:24 PM
2nd Gear

So as suspected the creaking noise was indeed the drive side inner tie rod. I didnt have the right tool but with a torch and some plumber style tool I got it off pretty easily.

The culprit:

Name:  lar7Ch.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  132.5 KB

Name:  lFI1mh.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  169.5 KB

The boot was also torn but a couple of handy zip ties and it is good as new... :/

Name:  pCuRlh.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  114.7 KB

I still need to figure out the humm, I am thinking cv joint or wheel bearing or axle...we will see.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:18 PM
2nd Gear

The creak is back on an intermittent basis, exact same noise from same area, pretty confused since both inner and outer TR are brand new...

As for the drivetrain humm it is getting worse and starting to concern me. How can I determine if the axle is bad?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:17 PM

not a wheel bearing ? have you jacked the wheel up and tried to move it at all? Could possibly be steering rack related since you say it does it while turning the wheel slightly. When you slightly turn the steering wheel not enough to actually move the wheel the fluid is still moving so this might be the "hum" you hear.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:31 PM
2nd Gear

When I hear the words "creak" used on the front end of a B5, I always think control arm. You sure it's not just one of the ball joints gone bad on a control arm?

Old 08-13-2012, 03:04 PM
2nd Gear

I have tried jacking the car and spinning the tire, no noise from the bearing. All the control arms are relatively new, about 20k on them.

I think the creak may be coming from the rack and that the humm is either the cv joint or the axle, not sure how to check.