B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Squeaking sound,coming from the driver side rear wheel well.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:05 PM
2nd Gear
Question Squeaking sound,coming from the driver side rear wheel well.

The guys that were at the Spring meet,tried to diagnose my squeaking of my driver side rear wheel well,to no avail.

I just got a diagnoses from a independent shop,that works on Audi's.

He looked at the rear control arm bushings on the side,the sound was coming from,and said they are no good.

He even walked me to both sides as Audina was on a lift and pointed out,how one side of the washer and bushing was close together but the opposite side washer was further from the bolt and bushing.

This is leading to the squeaking sound,rubber is rubbing together. He even pointed out,the rubber,coming apart and braking as he pulled on some of the rubber,near the washer and bolt on one side of the control arm.

He didn't know if i can buy a bushing for each of my rear control arms or if i would have to buy,a whole set of control arms for both the right and left rear control arms,can i buy just the bushings?

which is what i would prefer,being it would be expensive to replace,perfectly working control arms,just because the bushing are shot.

The passenger side rear control arm bushings,aren't making any noise but he said,i should change both at once.

There isn't any symptoms or issues,besides the annoying squeaking but i can't stand Audina making any noises.

So please fellas,chime in and give me some advise and links to what i need for the cheapest price and let me know,if i need the whole control arm with bushing or i can buy the bushing,separate?

Last edited by morpheous; 06-13-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Our control arms aren't technically "rebuildable", although ECS does sell the bushings separately from the rest of the links. I've never heard of anyone pressing out old bushings, pressing in new ones, and having it actually work right.

I'd go with a full control arm kit from FCP or Blauparts and DIY it. Control arms are too easy to pay somebody else to do it.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:28 PM
1st Gear

what cca4 said. I just did my fronts on saturday and it took me all of 2 hours lol...truth be told, everything on this car only takes 2 hours. Easiest thing (besides my chevelle) to work on.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:00 PM
2nd Gear

well..just because nobody has said they worked fine,doesn't mean they don't.

Can someone post a few links for just the bushings and also rear control arm sets,so i can compare the prices.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:37 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
well..just because nobody has said they worked fine,doesn't mean they don't.
I've done it. The rears are very rebuildable cause they're just bushings. Take off the lower arm, take it to a shop and they'll press out the old and press in the new. The fronts aren't rebuildable cause they have ball joints. I had the backs rebuild on my 96 and drove it another 120,000 miles afterwards.

Originally Posted by morpheous
Can someone post a few links for just the bushings and also rear control arm sets,so i can compare the prices.
Morpheous come on...you can Google. Just go to ECS Tuning. Last I knew they had a sale on the bushings for the rear lowers.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:01 AM
2nd Gear

Its not like i couldn't Google for them,i just thought maybe,someone had a site that i didn't know of,besides esctunning or fcpgroton,that has the bushings for cheap.

Thanks for your information,i now know i can buy just the bushings,which is good for me,being i don't need to get a complete control arm set.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:17 AM
1st Gear

If one side is getting bad the other can't be far behind

Old 06-14-2012, 03:11 AM
2nd Gear

You're absolutely correct,i'll do both rear control arm bushings... being the bushings are cheap,i'll buy two for the right and left control arm bushings.