B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

AEB Head On AWM Block?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 12:26 PM
1st Gear
Default AEB Head On AWM Block?

Will an AEB head bolt onto an AWM engine block? Are all the external ports and bolt holes the same on both heads?

My AWM head needs a rebuild, and I've got a line on a good used AEB head for a low price. This way I could continue to drive my A4 until the AEB head is rebuilt, and then just swap out the heads when I'm ready.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Yep. The AEB head actually flows better, so a lot of AWM guys running big *** turbos or high boost run them as an upgrade.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:37 PM
1st Gear

Will it run predictably in a mostly-stock application? I assume the improved airflow won't mess up anything with the stock ECM.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Only issue I can see is with the variable valve timing that came stock on AWM motors. I'm not sure how much of that was in the head and how much was on the block though.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:59 PM
1st Gear

From what I understand, the variable cam timing's only purpose is for emissions at start-up, is that right?

Also, I read that the cam adjuster from the AWM head can be bolted onto the AEB head...

Wish there was more info on this somewhere.

Last edited by GoremanX; 04-03-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Legal Moderator

You can aboslutely run an aeb head on an 06a (awm) block. There are a couple issues. As stated before the vvt is an issue. Either use your vvt tensioner out of the awm head or you will have to use the aeb tensioner and place a resisitor in the wire that should hook up to the vvt tensioner. secondly, there is no provision for the combi valve on the aeb head which you have on the awm head. you would have to delete the whole sai system, which is ok cause its useless anyways. you will get a check engine light unless it is coded out. You would need to run the aeb intake manifold as well becuase the ports are bigger than an awm manifold. if you dont have an aeb manifold and want to use your awm one, you need a transition spacer made by 034 motorsport. lastly, you need to use 06a (awm) head bolts, not aeb bolts. you match the bolts to the block. and if you are keeping the whole pcv system, youll need to run the awm vlave cover for the extra port on it. if running a catch can setup, id still recommend using the awm valve cover for an extra breather. hope this helps. forgot to mention. you need to use the correct cam window, that little stamped metal piece bolted onto the intake cam which the cam sensor gets its signal from. youll notice the difference between the awm (vvt) one and aeb (no-vvt) cam window. Many people say you need to swap the whole cams over, but i am unaware of any differences between the two, and from what i know its best to keep the original cams in the original heads

and just so you know, that aeb head is worth about 300$.

Last edited by redline380; 04-03-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

Excellent info, thanks. And answers all my questions. I was planning to remove the EGR stuff anyways.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Legal Moderator
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

Thanks! I was trying to translate the B6 DIY info for my B5, didn't realize there was already a B5-oriented writeup available. That's very useful.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Legal Moderator

2001 a4's are much closer to b6's under the hood anyways. theres so much absolute bullshit under the hood of these cars its ridiculous. i am so glad i live in a state without emissions so i can get rid of all that stuff and run without a cat. but good luck with the head swap. ill help you out if you have questions. i went through the same thing myself

Quick Reply: AEB Head On AWM Block?