B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 PM
1st Gear
Default What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption

I have been searching and reading all over this forum about Oil Consumption and there doesn't seem to be a clear cut verdict on what is normal and what is considered a problem.

I only ask because I burn about 1 quart every 3,000 miles (Currently have 28K). My dealer provides free fluid top-offs, so it's not a big deal for me money wise, but I wonder if this is really a normal thing.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Tech Certified

1 quart in 3000 miles is not too bad. I did see a post recently about a piston ring problem , not sure what models are affected. Another thing is to keep the oil as clean as possible. I usually recommend about every 5000 miles with approved synthetic.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

@ADK_audi
I completely agree with you!

The oil consumption is abnormal! As many cars as I have owned in my life I would not consider the consumption normal. ... not to mention what a pain in the **** it is to have to take it in for top-up.

Everyone seems to have some little rationale as to why it's normal, but as you say, no one is giving a clear concise answer.

Right now my dealer wants to do a consumption test on my 2010 A4 in order to apply the "kit" if necessary. I am absolutely not thrilled about my practically new car having pistons or rings etc (which I think is what is in the kit) and whatever other type of major engine part replaced.

We need to come together on this. The car seem perfect in every other way "so far" and Audi owes us a better peace of mind.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Banned

honestly, this issue must affect very very few 2.0Ts. that said, subaru's are known to also burn oil.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

@esandes

How can you say that the issue affects very few cars? Do you have the facts/#s on that?

Regardless, all of the postings I see for this issue are from owners who have pretty new A4s, including myself. I don't think it is acceptable that more than a handful (which would be lemons) should have this type of problem. Furthermore, 2 dealerships in my hometown acknowledge that Audi sees it as a problem. Also (Audi Engineering) would not have put so much effort into coming up with a kit/hotfix to address the problem.

I understand that the fix involves a crankcase valve replacement and software update. Speaking of which, is all well and good, but it is a MAJOR repair. What I want to know now is what Audi will do to re-assure me that the engine is good as new when it had to be taken apart by what is "supposed to be" a master technician. Are they going to Q/A the engine as they do @ the Factory. What if the technician is having a bad day? The more I think about it the more upset I am getting. I think I'll stop writing now!

Old 02-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Tech Certified

They are no longer re-ringing engines...

Offically they originally believe the machining process on some of the piston rings were not done properly.

The software update, The crank seal, and the breather seems to be the more serious fix. Its all designed to alter the internal vacuum of the system. I haven't seen a single return complaint after this was done. Its pretty straight forward repair too... there isn't any engine disassembly and only takes a few hours

The specification is 1200 miles per quart is normal. You cannot compare Audi to cars you used to own. But you want a piece of mind....?

GOOGLE
"BMW Oil Consumption"
"Mercedes Oil Consumption"
"Toyota Oil Consumption"
"Chevy Oil Consumption"

Every manufacturer has these problems. They don't make reliable motors like they used to because everything is done for Smog Credits and MPGs..... discounts and exemptions for better numbers.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

I was burning 1 qt of oil every 800 to 1000 miles and it failed the level 1 and 2 oil consumption tests. The dealer re-ring the pistons about 4 months ago, and I haven't got the low oil warning yet. It's been about 4000 miles since they re-ringed my engine and the oil level is about 50% on the display. Very happy that they did this. Otherwise I would have trade it in for a Bimmer.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mmediaman
@esandes

How can you say that the issue affects very few cars? Do you have the facts/#s on that?

Regardless, all of the postings I see for this issue are from owners who have pretty new A4s, including myself. I don't think it is acceptable that more than a handful (which would be lemons) should have this type of problem. Furthermore, 2 dealerships in my hometown acknowledge that Audi sees it as a problem. Also (Audi Engineering) would not have put so much effort into coming up with a kit/hotfix to address the problem.

I understand that the fix involves a crankcase valve replacement and software update. Speaking of which, is all well and good, but it is a MAJOR repair. What I want to know now is what Audi will do to re-assure me that the engine is good as new when it had to be taken apart by what is "supposed to be" a master technician. Are they going to Q/A the engine as they do @ the Factory. What if the technician is having a bad day? The more I think about it the more upset I am getting. I think I'll stop writing now!
I currently have a 2000 A4 1.8T with only 65K on the clock, runs like a champ and never burns a drop of oil...(12 year old car). Lately I was thinking of getting a 2009 A4.

...should I stay away from these new Audis? Is that what you're saying?

Thanks.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mmediaman
@esandes

this same engine block has been used by VW/audi for the last 10 years or so. it has been used in the golf and a4. of course, the a4 has the added turbo to the engine. there are likely hundred of thousands of these engines out there, if not millions. to say that most consume oil would be elementary and i'm sure it would warrant a recall. you do know how recalls work, right? if the problem is widespread, there is a recall. lately, honda and toyota have been doing alot of them but that's another story.

why would some a4 piston rings be faulty? i would guess a bad batch of rings were made. either that or the PCV needs to be upgraded..or even both. a faulty PCV is also known to cause oil consumption. i've had the low oil light come on twice and both times were:
-with the old PCV
-end of the oil change interval
-during the summer with heavy acceleration-type driving

Old 03-27-2012, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

Got the recommended factory work done on my 2010 A4 and waiting to see if this addresses the problem.

1.) Parts replaced.
2.) Software updated.

a.) Oil gauge went from 100% to 80% after a few days and holding.
b.) I'm going to be really upset if this doesn't address the problem.

Quick Reply: What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption