B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

upper link bushing questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:04 PM
1st Gear
Default upper link bushing questions

So I had my A4 at the dealership a week ago to do the ignition coil recall thing, the mechanic listed that both my upper link bushings had split, I'm still learning a lot about this vehicle so please mind the noobness. Is he talking about the control arm bushings? If so how hard would they be to replace if I wanted to do it myself, and should i get just whole new control arm kits or are their bushing kits, also which or where should i get one if not from Audi themselves. I never got to ask them how much that would run with parts and labor because i had to pick the car up on a sunday. Thanks in advance.

BD

Old 04-15-2011, 04:17 PM

Audi's front suspension is a work of art but a bit hard to understand. For performance there are 2 upper links per side (front and rear) and 2 lower control arms per side (front and rear) it is called the 4 link suspension system. Sounds like your mechanic is referring to the upper link bushings which there are two bushings per link. One is a removable bushing that can be pressed in and out that attaches at the strut tower the other bushing is incorporated in the link and attaches to the bearing housing--confused yet--SORRY. There is a parts blow up on our website that shows the suspension up close and personal. The removable bushing are inexpensive and pretty easy to replace with a press they run $21.89 each now if you need the links they are $99 each but they come with both bushing ready to install. Add a bit for hardware and you are set. Hope this helps, have a great weekend, holler if we can answer any Audi questions.
Loree

Old 04-15-2011, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

Ok so to reiterate that there are 4 upper links and 4 lower control arms one of each on every corner of the car, and each of the upper links have 2 bushings one that removable and one incorporated into the link itself. the audi mechanic didnt specify if the upper link bushings were the front or rear he just labeled it as both sides, not sure if he meant all 4.
I'm not sure how that would translate in the feel of driving the car, I am getting a vibration when i drive, i thought it was a wheel balance or alignment issue, could this be the cause of it?
I would prefer the cheaper route and just purchase the bushings, but I know it would be better in the longer to change all of that out. How hard would this be to install myself with a couple of friends in a garage? Are there any DIY/Write ups on this particular issue? I guess i could search that myself, probably under some suspension related write up. Again thanks for the help.

BD

Old 04-15-2011, 06:24 PM

It sounds like you got it; there are 4 UPPER links (2 per side) and 4 LOWER control arms
(2 per side) on the FRONT suspension. Since your mechanic did not tell you front or rear front links (often people refer to all 8 as control arms) there is no way to know which one you need. The good news is the upper bushings are all the same, so if it is the replaceable bushings you are golden--do them all. Now if it is the links they are all different depending on position. Best way to find out is to raise the car and carefully, using a pry bar check, for play in the links. It should be obvious which ones move excessively. Now in regards to our SOP on a car of this age (not knowing mileage) we replace all four upper links, along with hardware, as when one starts to go the others soon follow. It sound like with a couple friends and instructions that are available online this is something you could do--just need the right tools and enough beer (just kidding). Just make sure to have it aligned when everything gets done. Great questions and welcome to the joys of Audi Performance. Keep us posted and let us know if we can help with the parts procurement.
Loree

Old 04-15-2011, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

Ok well on the audi work sheet that i got back it does say upper link bushings, so hopefully its just that, the car has 103k miles on it, at this point i'm pretty sure every little bit of the engine somehow needs replacing. Maybe i can go about an just order the bushings change them out and see how that works. My thing is would bad bushing/link/control arms lead to a vibration while driving? With a heavier amount of vibration during acceleration? And looking on audiusaparts.com i assume its the item labeled upper bushing, that go for $21.89 each? in the diagram labeled as part #5? Any other comments or ideas would be grateful, otherwise i'll be ordering some bushings early next week. Thanks again for the help Loree.

BD

Old 04-15-2011, 08:05 PM

No problem, our pleasure is sharing Audi knowledge. Yes worn bushing in the links will cause vibration especially on accelerating as more pressure is put on the suspension and wheels. Is the vibration in the steering wheel, front end, whole car, both seats? There are other causes, not to muddy the waters but have you moved the wheels around to see if it changes the vibration or location? This is a quick check to see if it is balance, bad tire or bent wheel. If it stays the same I would lean towards the bushings especially if you see play in the links when under pressure (crow bar leverage). So glad you found the diagram and you are dead on with #5, we will need to know a VIN as they differ between comfort and sport suspension but the price for the bushings is still $21.89 no matter which option. Keep us posted on what you find and have a great weekend.
Loree

Old 04-16-2011, 01:22 AM
1st Gear

ok thanks, i'll take a look at the wheels and swap them out tomorrow to see if that changes anything. but i am getting far more vibration during acceleration, hopefully its just the bushings, i'll let you know, thanks again.

BD

Old 04-18-2011, 11:40 AM

Happy Monday! One more thing that just came to mind that we see once in a while is the front motor mount. Audi calls it a jounce bumper it is a rubber bushing that mounts between two brackets right on the front of the 3.0L. When this gets worn it allows the engine to vibrate especially during acceleration. Just one more thing to check out, again by prying to see how much play is in the assembly. This too is shown in our online catalogue. Keep us posted. Enjoy the week.
Loree

Old 04-19-2011, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

Happy Tuesday!
Thanks for the extra info, i just ordered the two upper bushings, i think that should suffice, if that other part is also causing issues then i'll just have to order that later this week, thanks again for all the help. I did try to search for that engine mount bushing, had a bit of trouble locating it, if you could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

BD

Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 PM

Our pleasure and thank you for the order. As for tracking down the engine mount we spoke of, on our website you will need to go into the collision catalogue, under your A4. Then to Engine / transaxle then to Engine and trans mounting to Stop to Inner it is way in there you will see the picture of the jounce bumper that sometimes wears out causing vibration issues. Good luck with the bushings and thank you again for the business—fingers crossed.
Loree

Quick Reply: upper link bushing questions