Canada, Over Seas & Elsewhere Not from the states? Everywhere else post here.

Flip key fob for A6 1997 (C5, 4B)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 AM
1st Gear
Default Flip key fob for A6 1997 (C5, 4B)

Hello everyone.

I have been searching all the Audi forums I can think about but not been able to find the answer that I am after. I really hope that someone here can help me.

I own a Audi A6 1.8T, 1997 (4B i think)UK/European model.
I currently only have 1 key for it, a rigid key (not flip key) part number: 8LO837231A. My question is: Is it possible to get a new flip key style fob for this car. I would be able to transfer both the PCB and the transponder for the immobilizer to the new flip key fob since I don not want the rigid one in my pocket. Have anyone got any suggestions on if this is possible and if so where I could get one?
Also could someone get me some info on my current key fob i.e. what Mhz it is 433.92 or 434 etc. Would i be able to buy a 4DO83723R and transfer JUST the transponder to the new key and then do the 2 key trick to program it to my central locking system (remote locking)??? I know i have the rfID system and not the iR system.

Would be so happy for any helpful answers in regards to this.

Thank in advance,

Henrik (from London, UK)

Old 03-24-2011, 05:44 AM
1st Gear
Default done...

Hello guys.

Just a little update.

Got a flip key case (empty) of ebay for £9.99, got it 2 days after I ordered.
The PCB (circuit board) inside my fob was of cause to big...
BUT, I took some sand paper (100 grit) and started to sand it down on all sides (without damaging the fine metal strips on the circuit board. You need to sand approx 0.5mm on each side and viola IT FITS. You then have to take down the 2 spikes in the new fob because these are longer and fatter then your old ones. this is easily done with a sharp razor blade or knife. For info on how to swap the key blade to your old one, please check youtube tutorials on this. It's easy but to much to go through here.

Removing the transponder IS NOT for the faint hearted, the plastic on your original key is rock hard and you risk cracking the transponder when you try to get it out (if you crack the tranponder IT WILL NOT WORK and you would have to go to a dealer/locksmith to get a new programed for a lot of money).

Luckily I got mine out with out a problem. Fitted perfectly in the new flip key. What I fund out was that every time you remove the batteries in your remote you have to reset it, this is easily done by doing like this:

Put your key in the door lock and open the door manually with your key,
Take the key out and wait 3 sec but no longer than 5 sec,
Now press the "open lock" button on your remote and you will see the lights flick and the red light on your door flash. Now press the "close lock" on your remote straight away and you will see the lights again and the car will lock. You now have a working flip key remote fob to your car.

Will try to get some pictures on the forum if anyone is interested.

Any questions let me know.

Henrik (London, UK)