Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Audi A6 4.2L Transmission Problems, Limp Mode Resale Value

Old 11-03-2010, 12:20 AM
1st Gear
Angry 2001 Audi A6 4.2L Transmission Problems, Limp Mode Resale Value

Hello, I have a 2001 Audi A6 4.2. The tranmission has started giving me problems. Currently the car is in limp mode and can only be driven in a certain gear. Its a transmission safe mode. The car has been tested and there are internal problems in the transmission that need to be fixed.

How much do you think this repair will cost?

I would need the transmission rebuilt. I received an estimate for a new transmission at $5000. Way too much not worth it.

If its too pricy I would probably end up having to sell the car the way it is with transmission needing repair. How much money do you think I get for a car in that condition.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:23 AM
1st Gear

Get a low mileage tranny from the junk (recycling) yard is a lot cheaper... $750 to $1000
www.car-part.com

Last edited by bigdadi; 11-03-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:03 AM
1st Gear

A typical quality rebuild is around $2500 and the install is about $1000 (independent prices, Dealer would be more). Big Dadi is right, an option is to find a guaranteed used tranny to get it working, drive it a few years to get your money out and sell it while it's still working well. If you can get a used one for about $1000, you can get it installed for another $1000, it won't be too bad. If you like the car and want to keep it, get the whole thing, it can cost more to dump the car for nothing and replace it with something as good as it would be after it was repaired.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:37 AM
2nd Gear

jlustig,

Mileage?

First - there is no such think as a "new" transmission.
Second- any money you can get for the car is good.

With a labor schedule of 17h for transmission replacement one should carefully consider the junk yard options. (unless they warranty the labor as well)

Based on experience I could say I doubt the diagnostics - at least to vague.

Replace the ATF - first step I'll do- look at the color and debris in the ATF.
Make sure u use VAG or Pentozin ATF.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

Did you get a good VAG-COM scan to see the health of your transmission?

If not, should start with find a Audi VW specialized garage w/VAG-COM to scan. It should be 0.5 to 1 hr job.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:56 PM
1st Gear

The Car has about 107k miles.

In Limp mode I am able to drive the car but it drives poorly. I would think thats atleast a good sign that its still somewhat driveable.

The shop opened up the bottom and said there is black burnt discharge coming from the transmission.

I took it to a tranmission shop. Do you think its worth taking it to an Audi dealer the nearest one is 50 miles away.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:37 PM
2nd Gear

I'd suggest replacing as much ATF as possible:

- with filter replaced:

1. drain - fill - drive - 100 miles.
2. drain - fill

You'll need 6-7l ATF for step 1 (with filter replacement)
Next fill is 5-6l

To be on the safe side - I'd buy 14-15l.

Maz
ke sure you can return the ATF leftovers as it is pricy.

There are shops that could flush all the fluid at once - as a conventional transmission service.
You have to supply the ATF and make sure the level is ok.

Even if you get out of the limp and have better transmission work - sell the car!!!

Old 11-05-2010, 08:56 AM
2nd Gear

Assuming that a professional repair shop that has actually seen the transmission can somehow do a better analysis than we can remotely (a reach, I know, but let's go with it for a minute), you have two real choices:

Rebuild the transmission for $3500 and up.

Sell the car as-is for $2500.

$2500 + $3500 = $6000 which is about what the car is worth. SO, if you like the car and have $3500 cash handy, I would have the transmission rebuilt. If the car has been a constant headache and you are indifferent to owning it, sell it or trade it in.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 03-19-2014, 02:37 PM
1st Gear

No do not take it to an audi dealer they try to say that they have changed a bunch of things on the car and they charge you an arm and a leg. Another reason is because it will work for about a mounth and then it will take a sh** again. Buy a trannsimission from a junkyard. Audi Always have problems. I have a 2001 Audi A6 V8 4.2 and it wont drive in revearse.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:36 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro automatic

hey whats up i recently bought a 2001 audi a6 4.2 with an automatic transmission. i got a good deal for the car because it has tranny issues(shocking) so i was told that the reverse gear doesn't work. then i was told when started and running the ATF starts squirting out the vent hole on the transmission. do any of you have any opinions on what may be causing that? does that and the reverse gear not working be separate problems or are they linked together? i haven't gotten the car on the lift yet to check it out myself as i just bought it yesterday and jus going by what the people told me. maybe its something easy? but i would rather buy a used tranny from the junk yard for 1000 dollars and put it in rather than paying thousand for trying to diagnosing and still have to buy a new one to put in. thanks todd

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Audi A6 4.2L Transmission Problems, Limp Mode Resale Value