Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Labor to Replace Alternator

Old 09-03-2010, 03:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Labor to Replace Alternator

My 98 Audi A6 is screaming like a train engine. So i got it diagnosed to find that its the dying alternator. I checked the price & found the alternator to be ~$150. I wanted to know how much is the avg labor cost for replacing the alternator. One Audi Tech quoted me $190. Based on hours, im guessing thats a 2hr job. Any suggestions friends

Old 09-03-2010, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

$340 out-the-door sounds very reasonable to me...it's not a simple job, IMO. Obviously you've priced an aftermarket reman. unit since the OE alternators are crazy expensive...just make sure it comes with some kind of warranty. I've found that many "reputable" reman. alts are either hit-or-miss when it comes to longevity.

UberTeile

Old 09-03-2010, 03:43 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

$190 sounds reasonable for labor to change the alternator.

Where are you getting an alternator for $150? The OEM Bosch alternators are two to three times that much. Not that I'm questioning your choice, as I bought an aftermarket ebay alternator for mine.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:39 AM
3rd Gear

This is a five year old story, so you can take it for what it is worth. I popped my alternator about 180 miles from home. Confirmed it was dead at a Pep Boy's and arranged for it to be fixed at the local Audi dealer. They wanted $1200 p+l. I picked up a re-furbished alternator for about $200 (online) and it was 4 hours labor (at $120/hr at the time).

Old 09-06-2010, 10:08 AM
1st Gear

My A6 has a 120-Amp Valeo alternator that AutoZone has for $180 with a lifetime warranty. LKQ also has used units with low mileage for about $80.

After having to remove the entire front of the car to get the old one out, $190 in labor doesn't seem unreasonable. My wife was a little concerned when she came home yesterday and saw the whole front of her car laying on the floor in the garage, but I couldn't find another way to get to it. By comparison, I recently had to change the alternator in my Dodge truck and it took about twenty minutes.

Sometimes the German approach to serviceability doesn't make the most sense , but I can't complain too much about an altenator that lasted 240K miles! The brushes in the voltage regulator had worn grooves in the shaft so deep that one of them wasn't even making contact any more and it was still working. Now I just have to put everything back together. Good luck with yours.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:29 AM
1st Gear

It is not bad if it is an audi tech that is fine and the part is OK auto parts stores are around that but but you get your core charge back.....

I would not want to change it

Old 09-06-2010, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

It is not bad if it is an audi tech that is fine and the part is OK auto parts stores are around that but but you get your core charge back.....

I would not want to change it

Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

Im picking it up from a wholesale auto parts store i know the guy for a lill while though.

BTW i also found out that i need to change my AC Compressor, i still have to chek the labor cost on that too but now i feel im in srs s*it. If i replace both the alternator & ac compressor do u think i would be able to keep it for another 50k miles coz i'm no DIY champ & i know this car would start draining my wallet considering its age & miles.

Last edited by prady; 09-07-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:57 AM
1st Gear

You are close, the labor allowance is 2.5 hours which includes moving the lock carrier to the service position. I am a fairly experienced shade tree guy and it would take me about 1/2 a day to do this if nothing was frozen.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
This is a five year old story, so you can take it for what it is worth. I popped my alternator about 180 miles from home. Confirmed it was dead at a Pep Boy's and arranged for it to be fixed at the local Audi dealer. They wanted $1200 p+l. I picked up a re-furbished alternator for about $200 (online) and it was 4 hours labor (at $120/hr at the time).
jesus! you got so totally hosed! i realize that the job "requires" taking off the front clip, but 4 hours lol? that is intesne, even with the front clip removal, which isnt necessary IF you have a lift. You have to loosen the front motor mount, then jack the trans up a bit to create room (obviously easier with a lift and trans stand) you can get in there. It's a bitch but possible. I'll take 1200 and do that job for you all day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Labor to Replace Alternator