Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Alternator

Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 AM
1st Gear
Default Replacing Alternator

I have recently found out that my alternator went out. I have been lazy to be realistic and I havent started on removing it. I did check where it is located and I have no Idea how to remove it. And I am assuming its attached to the timing belt?

Any help and pictures on ow to remove the alternator and how to put back the belt would be greatly appreciated

thankyou

Audi A6 2.8 2001 automatic

Old 06-28-2010, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

Seeing that you are lazy to begin with and think that the timing belt drives the alternator. With all due respect i recommend having a knowledgable tech replace your alternator.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

I know the belt doesnt drive the alternator. My alternator is bad because it doesnt recharge my battery anymore and it keeps uncharging my batter. I know theres a belt attached to the alternator and I am not sure which one it is.

I am open to try new things, that way I can learn instead of waiting to get help from others ( or paying )

I am new to doing mechanical repairs, but I am willing to try
If I mess up my car that would be on me and I am accepting that

thanks

Old 06-28-2010, 02:50 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Okay, how much time, energy, frustration are you willing to put into this repair.

Having done mine relatively recently, I can assure you that it is not an endeavor to be undertaken lightly. I assume you have, or have access to, a good set of tools, a garage with a lift (or at least a decent jack and a good pair of jack stands)?

If you are still in for trying it I will give you my standard three step process:

1. buy new alternator
2. disassemble car
3. reassemble car around new alternator

But seriously, HERE is a link to doing a 2.8 timing belt. Most of the procedure is the same as far as getting in to the alternator.

good luck, let us know how it goes

Old 06-28-2010, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

thanks again for ur help, I thought that it would be an easier process. But I am wrong, doing the belt is a big hastle and if I do this myself It will take my whole summer off from school

I do have a spacious garage, and some tools but not enough for a timing belt replacement lol

I would seriously have to think about this, and the only reason I have been lazy is because the World cup is on and I am using my sisters car in the meantime ( less gas since its a 4 cylender)

thankyou for the help

Old 06-28-2010, 03:57 PM
3rd Gear

Timing belt replacement not needed for the alternator. Just need to put the car into the service position, meaning take out the front bumper and pull the front frame a couple of inches forward. Serpentine belt drives the alternator, not timing belt.

Question... how do you know the alternator is bad?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the help, well even removing my entire bumper and taking the front part off is going to be a big hassle for me since I am new at this. But I am giving it a serious thought of actually doing it

My battery died once. I took it to NTB and they recharged it ( they said they didnt find anything unusual electric ). I am sure they didnt really check. about 3 days later battery dies again, so I take the car back and purchase another one ( only 42 $) since it still had warranty. I only had the 1st battery for 18 months.
The day after I replaced the battery the new one dies on me again. I did notice the the votage on my dash read in the middle ( I baleive its 12 V) and it used to read in the 3/4 which is 14 V?

I do have some 12 inch subwoofers in the trunk but I am sure they dont change the voltage reading on the dash

Old 06-29-2010, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

Listen, the job sound alot worse than it really is. I just replaced my timing belt,waterpump and thermostat. The job turned out fine, car runs great. I would check a Bently manual for procedure. I would make sure you purchase a quality alternator and be sure to disconnect the battery before starting.
good luck