B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Car will not Start! Will not crank! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Angry Car will not Start! Will not crank! HELP

Hi. This is my first time posting on audi forums. Normally i get my answers by reading other peoples stuff. But not this time.
I am in a bind. I have a 2002 Audi A4 Q 1.8T. I drove it the other day then parked it for about an hour. When i went to go to the store, the car would not start. It would not crank or nothing. I thought the battery was dead so I tried jumping the car. All lights are on the dash, headlights come on. Strange! So the next morning i go in the car and turn the key and the damn thing starts. Well i drive it around all day doing my errands, hoping it was just something that fixed itself. Until i got to chase bank. It would not start again.. You turn the key and nothing. All lights come on but the car will not crank. So i called the tow truck. Some hours later the tow truck driver comes and asks for the keys and the damn car starts again.
Ok, now i am mad. I take the battery out and bring it to autozone and they test it. The battery is good. I checked the ground to the battery and the ground that i think goes to the frame and they appear ok. I took the damn starter out and autozone tested it 3 times and it passed with flying colors. My friend said it could be the starter relay, but when i look online i dont think this year has one. I bought a ignition switch, but dont want to take the stearing apart unless i really have to. Please someone help me! Oh and now, a few days later the car will not start at all. Maybe the neutral safety switch? Still you turn the key and all lights come on but the damn thing wont crank. I here a click near the shifter i think and a click near the turbo and i hear the fuel pump ingaging when i turn the key. But thats it. PLEASE HELP ME. I DONT WANT TO BRING IT TO MY LOCAL STEALER....!

Old 04-17-2010, 06:24 PM
3rd Gear

It could be two things: your starter solenoid is starting to go out (I think this is it) or the relay that controls the starter is loose in the socket (I don't think this is it.). Sorry but untill you get a consistent problem is hard, you might feel like you threw some cash down the drain but I think you need a new starter. Either that, or the ground is loose, check this out too.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:53 AM
4th Gear

Could just be a bad clutch pedal switch.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:41 PM
3rd Gear

True, that's the cheapest alternative, I'd try that first.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 AM

Thank you everyone for your support.. Ok this is the update. I purchased a starter relay for $26.00 including shipping online. I got it in the mail yesterday. I put the starter back in and began taking apart my dash and stearing wheel to change the ignition switch. Ok i put it in and turn the key, "DAMN IT" still nothing...... Ok i get under the car with a tester and have my wife turn the key when I test the amps going to the starter. It wasnt getting the 12 volts. I now pull out every damn fuse and relay i could find and check them visually! I even checked the fuses and relays in the dash, being that i had the dash apart already. I opened up the black box under the hood that has the main compuet I think its called the "ECU" and checked the fuses in there. Well i turn the key and it starts. Its been 2 days and its still running. So I believe DAN1969 was correct, the relay was loose in the socket. One problem, the Stealer says my car doesnt have a starter relay. Any Ideas what fuse or relay in my car did this?

Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 AM
4th Gear

The starter relay is the one next to the ECU. When it stops working(bad or just loose) the ecu will throw a code for it. VagCom FTMFW lol

Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Permanent Fix

Did this turn out to be the permanent fix? I have had the same problem and replaced the clutch interlock switch. This didn't fix it, but the ECU hasn't coded for anything other than the clutch switch. Just curious. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Halfpint2209
Thank you everyone for your support.. Ok this is the update. I purchased a starter relay for $26.00 including shipping online. I got it in the mail yesterday. I put the starter back in and began taking apart my dash and stearing wheel to change the ignition switch. Ok i put it in and turn the key, "DAMN IT" still nothing...... Ok i get under the car with a tester and have my wife turn the key when I test the amps going to the starter. It wasnt getting the 12 volts. I now pull out every damn fuse and relay i could find and check them visually! I even checked the fuses and relays in the dash, being that i had the dash apart already. I opened up the black box under the hood that has the main compuet I think its called the "ECU" and checked the fuses in there. Well i turn the key and it starts. Its been 2 days and its still running. So I believe DAN1969 was correct, the relay was loose in the socket. One problem, the Stealer says my car doesnt have a starter relay. Any Ideas what fuse or relay in my car did this?

Old 10-23-2012, 05:26 PM
1st Gear
Default 2002 a4 will not start

hello all, i have a 2002 audi a4 1.8t quatt really really confused car will not start. it is cranking all systems are go, but the fuel pump is not delivering fuel, turn the key on and the pump is not clicking, thinking it might be a faulty relay(which it might still be) but we bypassed the relay by directing the fuel pump and lone behold it does turn on but still the car wont start, it is at a garage and they all say that it is a security problem with the electronics that are not letting the car start but i doubt that.... could it be the fuel pump, maybe a faulty relay, an ECM problem or maybe something with the injectors because we checked for power in the relay and there was none so that would be the issue on if the car would start when we bypassed the relay and made the fuel pump start.... really really confused plz help dont want to go to my local stealer

Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Certified

fuel pumps are common failed parts on the b6

Old 10-23-2012, 07:38 PM
1st Gear

Next time it does it take a hammer or wrench and tap the starter. Your brushes in the starter may be sticking. This is something that a autozone test will not pick up. Starters can do some crazy things when they go bad.

Quick Reply: Car will not Start! Will not crank! HELP