Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Air Control Valve help

Old 03-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Default Idle Air Control Valve help

whats up audi forum

I will get straight to the point. I would like to take a look into my Idle Air Control Valve and clean it up. I will be doing this by myself and I would greatly appreciate if somebody could post a little "do it yourself" for me to use a guideline with pictures because i do not even know where it is located. Also some suggestions or recommendations while doing this. I tried looking for a DIY but no cigar so if I am able to do this successfully i can take pics and post it after. I know this is possible because i have seen on Acura forums people doing it and getting a fresh idling after they complete this. If possible any recommendations on which product to use for cleaning would be amazingly appreciated I will be back here to check later on as i want to do asap.

Thanks again in advance for anyone who can help me out or try .

Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 AM
2nd Gear

Acura? Audi... not the same. If your idle is off on an acura I would doubt it would be because of vacuum lines. However on an Audi it would be the first thing I would check. I must have tweaked 20 things to smooth out my idle. Here are some things to tackle first.

replace your vacuum lines.

Make sure your engine mounts aren't shot. will cause vibe through the brake pedal at stop lights.

On the Audi you can recalibrate the throttle body through the vag-com. You need a vag-com to do it. However On my A8 I had an idle surge and I cleaned the throttle body control assembly and that solved the problem.

On my 3.0 I rebuilt the heads,obviously new headgaskets and seals, intake gaskets, engine mounts, vac lines, timing belt, oil leaks,cle3aned the secondary air system, recalibrate throttle body, adjusted idle rpm... It seemed like everything I did smoothed out the idle by 10% what a pain in the ***!

What exactly is your doing? surging?, vibrating?, too low?, too high?

Old 03-11-2010, 11:24 AM

It seems that its shaking and sometimes the shake can be big also i noticed it starts to happen after the car has been warmed up after like 10-25 minutes of driving. I want to clean IACV and after that i can start looking at other things, can you help me out ? thanks

Old 03-12-2010, 06:28 PM

Is there anybody who cleaned out their IACV and can help me out??

Old 03-13-2010, 08:14 AM
2nd Gear

I haven't cleaned mine. I haven't ever heard of anyone cleaning thiers. I have heard of them being replaced but mostly due to the electronic control system.

I would check your Vacuum system first. Now I know it's leaking because you didn't respond by saying it's new LOL!` Those cheesy tubes just dry out and crack and if one of them is cracked and sucking air your going to shake.

The Throttle body is calibrated by a Vag-Com so you will need one to preform the following. Here is the link to what I did on my A8.
It was surging.

First Check your codes with a Vag-Com see what you pull up.

here's the link.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=141756

Old 03-13-2010, 05:02 PM
2nd Gear

On the 2.7t you can do a throttle body alignment without the vagcom. I don't know if you can with the other engines but its so simple I would start there.

unplug the battery for about 10 min, long enough for the ECU to reset. Afterwards plug the battery back in and turn the ignition to the ON position but don't start it. You should hear a little motor working under the hood and its the TB aligning.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:58 AM

So you mean just unplug the abttery for 10 minutes? what does that do? thx