Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Default Fuel Pump issues

Hi all

I moved to ST. Thomas, U.S.V.I. and have not driven my 2000 Audi A6 2.7t in a year. I would start the car and let it run every couple of weeks. I didnt do it for two months and the battery went dead. Anyway now the car wount start at all . I changed the plugs still no start. I have checked the fuse for the fuse in the fuse box for the fuel pump it's fine, I checked the relay and it appears to be working fine (i.e. clicking). I disconnected the fuel filter at one end and turned the key and the only fuel that came out was the fuel that was in the filter in the first place. So I pulled the rear seat and put a voltmeter on the clip/wire harness that connects directly to the fuel pump. When I swung the key I get power to the meter at about 12-volts then it reduces.

(1) should I be able to hear the fuel pump when I turn the key?
(2)Is there a way to connect directly to or test the fuel pump by itself to see if its even running
(3) Any suggestions on where I should purchase the fuel pump from and what tools will I need for the install

Unfortunately I do not have any vag tools and there are no Audi dealerships in ST. Thomas

Please help Desperate in ST. Thomas

sljone

Old 03-06-2010, 05:29 PM
2nd Gear

What happens when you just try to start the car? Does it sound like its cranking? Does it simply not start? details?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Default fuel pump issues

It cranks but wont start

Old 03-06-2010, 07:40 PM
2nd Gear

I used to have a 73 porsche 914 that I bought from a person who had left it sitting for the better part of a decade (it only had 43000 original miles :O!!!). It had a variety of strange things that kept it from wanting to start up. The battery almost always needed to be charged up because of a short somewhere. Give the battery a load test at your local parts store and rule that out. It had also been sitting for so long that enough water had accumlated in the gas tank and made it almost impossible to fire up. Try a can of HEET or something of the sort if there could be water in the tank. last and craziest, the engine wasnt getting air because a mouse had made a nest in the airbox and clogged it up lol.

Moral of the story, cars don't like to sit around and weird things can happen. Check stuff like spark plug boots, cylinder compression, intake pressure check, etc.

Lastly and possible most important. I'm not sure what the voltage for the fuel pump should be, but looking into its dying off. Maybe its not getting enough juice to get gas all the way to the engine.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:30 AM
2nd Gear

You can jump the fuel pump by applying 12v across its terminals. You should be able to hear it run with the back seat out.

If the fuel pump is working, next put a little bit of gas in the intake manifold and see if it will try to start. If it does, this means you are getting spark. If it does not, you need to figure out why it is not sparking, which could be the anti-theft mechanism which WILL require a dealer to deal with.

Bob