B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Breather tube and dex cool question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Breather tube and dex cool question

Ok,

So today I took my car to euro motor works here in Indianapolis for them to change my coolant flange. I looked at the diy and it seems there is much more in the way on my car than the diy eluded to so I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry and took it in. Either way when I picked up my car they let me know that there was a crack in an air hose on the front of my engine. Instantly I thought it was a turbo leak cause thats the only hose that runs across the front of the motor. Well that hose turned out to be ok, however after further inspection I noticed that at the back of the motor my breather hose coming off the intake was severely deformed and cracked, "guessing this is what they were referring to. Long story short I took the part number off the hose and plugged it into ecs and came up with this http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...3_221a/ES6992/ It appears to be for the b6 body type and the part number ends in P instead of A. Just wanted to see if this will work for me or not. I don't see why not considering it's just a rubber hose, but I wanted to double check.

Here is a pic of the hose

Also, after further review I saw that the invoice said they refilled my engine with dexcool.. I called thinking this was a mistake and was told that dexcool has the same chemical make up as g12 but they just put a different dye into the coolant. Is this correct or should I go back and make them put g12 in? I have never run anything but G12 in my baby and don't want any seal problems or anything of that nature.

2001 b5 a4 1.8t manual AWM Code

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I meant Breather hose. lol

Last edited by djMichaels; 01-05-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

Any help?

Everything I've read is somewhat contradicting. I've read that dex and g12 are the same and also that you shouldn't use dex in audis? Can someone shed some light on this? What are you're experiences? Like I said I've never used anything but g12.

Also the breather hose looks identical so I'm guessing it will work since my part number is superseded by the b6 part number, any insight on this?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:24 AM
4th Gear

From what I know, the only thing out there that is the 'same' as G12 is Peak Global Lifetime/Final Charge as both are a non-2eh formula (same BASF additive). 2-eh is the organics used in Dex-Cool that was blamed for the gasket failures in GM trucks... Now, people DO run Dex-cool in Audi's, but usually with a flush first, not mixing. I dont have any data that says it good or bad, but to be safe, I dont do it.. or run Dex-Cool at all.

Cant help with the hose, but it looks the same to me.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:50 AM
2nd Gear

034 has a silicone version of that hose that should last longer.