Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burning oil smell and cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Default burning oil smell and cooling fan

I have a 2003 A6 2.7T. I recently had the 85k/mi maintenance performed by a garage I have been happy with for routine maintenance. When I got my car back I noticed a strong burnt synthetic smell once the car warmed up. Could be oil, coolant, Pwer Steering fluid. Not sure. The cooling fan will also stay on for about 20 minutes after the car has been shut off (didn't do this prior to maintenance work). Lastly, while doing this maintenance the shop apparently caused a small leak in one of the Power Steering lines which as since been repaired. All of these items could be tied together or could be independent issues. I have cleaned the engine from the top and the bottom and can't find any fluid leaks or spillage that are still "active". Any thoughts on what could be causing these issues?

Old 12-28-2009, 10:47 PM
2nd Gear

They may have pinched a wire to your fan or temp sensor when re-installing the belly pan etc...

what did they do?

I suggest running it and then pop the hood and look to see where the smoke is comming from. Sometimes they are hard to find. Could be from anything you just need to look or bring it back and bitch about it.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:43 AM

If it started just after the service, I would just bring it in. If you have a good relationship with your shop, they're usually pretty helpful. Their going to find exactly what's wrong anyway. In my experience, I'm a little new, the only thing hot enough to get oil to burn in the engine bay is the exhaust system. How are your valve cover and cam seals. Fresh oil can sometimes aggravate a leaking seal. When mine went, the passenger side was leaking onto the exhaust manifold, causing a burning smell and smoke. The leak was light enough that the oil was completely burning off on the manifold and was not visible on the bottom of the block.