Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Code for unclocking "safe" mode.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Default Radio Code for unclocking "safe" mode.

Hello,

Was working on my car yesterday, had to pull out the back seat. Disconnected the negative on the battery due to my car having side air bags. didnt wanna take the chance.

Obviously my radio is now in safe mode. Did not realize that Audi charges $65 bucks to get the code... (someone tell me if this is already bullshit fromthe stealerships mouth).

Also, my car is an 01. They said if the code was ever pulled for my car, then they would have it in there system. Follow my thoughts here: Every time the negative was pulled on that car, the car goes into safe mode. meaning the negative was NEVER pulled on it prior to me doing it yesterday. is it even possible that my battery was never replaced by the previous owner when the car is that old? or that the dealership never disconnected it do to work on the vehicle?

How can i talk w/ the dealership to get that code w/o spending fricken 65 bucks?

Old 12-11-2009, 04:23 PM
1st Gear

If you drive around a few trips your radio should come back on. Once the radio realizes its the same car it'll go out of safemode

Old 12-11-2009, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

The code is in the radio user manual that came with the car. If you don't have the manuals, ask the previous owner for them.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

$65? wow, you could get another OEM radio off eBay for cheaper than that.

Justingm001: i hope you are right because i didn't get the code with my car and im sure at some point in time i will need to disconnect the battery.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:49 PM
2nd Gear

I've disconnected my battery several times and never had it go into safe mode. I DO have an Owner's Manual with the radio codes, but, strangely, the manual is for a 2003 and I have a 2002, so I have my suspicions that the cades won't work, then I'll be in the same boat as you! Hope the "drive it til it likes you" method works!

Bob

Old 12-12-2009, 05:08 PM
1st Gear
Talking

Originally Posted by twinturbosixer
Hello,

Was working on my car yesterday, had to pull out the back seat. Disconnected the negative on the battery due to my car having side air bags. didnt wanna take the chance.

Obviously my radio is now in safe mode. Did not realize that Audi charges $65 bucks to get the code... (someone tell me if this is already bullshit fromthe stealerships mouth).

Also, my car is an 01. They said if the code was ever pulled for my car, then they would have it in there system. Follow my thoughts here: Every time the negative was pulled on that car, the car goes into safe mode. meaning the negative was NEVER pulled on it prior to me doing it yesterday. is it even possible that my battery was never replaced by the previous owner when the car is that old? or that the dealership never disconnected it do to work on the vehicle?

How can i talk w/ the dealership to get that code w/o spending fricken 65 bucks?
That is the labor they will charge to pull the radio to get the code; i believe the code is on the radio itself.

The code comes with the original user manual, if it is not in the book, the previous owner removed it. If the code was pulled from "that dealership" they would have it on file; i dont think they would share personal info from dealership to dealership. If the battery were replaced, the previous owner had the code to take the radio off safe mode, and yes, with mine, every time i had to disconnect the battery my radio goes into safe mode

Try and befriend one of the techs at the dealership, maybe they can do it for you on the side. I got a hook up at the dealership i go too, so the tech works on my car on the side.

I will send you my code via PM; see if that works

Old 12-12-2009, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

I believe that you can only get the code form the Delaer, that's where I got mine from, unless you have the radio manual. I do not believe that the radio will come out of safe unless you enter the code. I have driven for weeks in safe, I didn't decide to start working

Old 12-12-2009, 07:53 PM

The code is not on the radio, you will have to get it from previous owner or the dealer. I went in and told the dealer I was getting the code for a shop (which I was) and they gave it to me without hassle. It took a bit but I eventually got it. Then I had to drive the car for a few days with it in safe mode, eventually it let me enter the code (I think I had to drive it 100 miles). Your best bet is to buddy up with someone at the dealer and they may be nice and get the code for you.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:36 PM

i drove to charlotte today w/ my car (100 miles each way). So i do not believe the "drive until it likes you" method will work. I leave for Michigan (From south carolina) next weekend so i need a radio by then. It hasnt been "asking for a code" yet. it just says safe.

Does anyone know this: Can you enter the code whenever? or will the display say "enter code"

Old 12-13-2009, 12:26 AM

You have to hold the rbts (or what ever the radio station id thing is called) for like 5 seconds and it will allow you to enter the code. I am positive there is a time/mileage wicket that has to be met before you can enter the code but I don't think it is more than 100 miles. I don't recall exactly because it was so long ago. I'll check my Bentley's in the morning if you still need (if it is even in there).

Quick Reply: Radio Code for unclocking "safe" mode.