Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2 cam chain tensioner noise.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:35 AM
1st Gear
Default 4.2 cam chain tensioner noise.

I'm looking for some technical advice.

I just finished the timing belt/thermostat/water pump and a whole bunch "while i'm in there" items on my 00 4.2 engine. The issue i have is that when i crank the engine over to start it, there is a lot of noise coming from the cam chain tensioners. I wanted to crank the engine over several times without the spark plugs in to make sure i don't have too much of a dry start.

I've been working on this car since february as a side project, so the last time the engine ran was then.

Can the almost free movement of the tensioners be due to me working on the engine for the 6 months plus, and rotating it sevreal times by hand during the process without it being full of oil??

I'm sure the timing is right as I used the Bentley manual for the process and the T40005 and 3242 tools to keep the timing aligned.

Has anyone experianced this?

Thanks,

JR

Old 09-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Site Moderator

Is it rattling on just one bank, or both?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:49 AM
1st Gear

**UPDATE**

I pulled out the spark plugs last night and cranked the engine over. Bothe the banks were just as noisy. The rattle went away within 8-10 seconds of starting to crank the motor, put the plugs back in and she fired right up. Idles quiet and smooth as ever.

Just being paranoid I guess. I never had seen a cam chain tensioner that would have so much play in it without oil pressure. I guess the 6-8 months the engine stood without oil in it was enough to drain everything completely.

JR

Old 10-01-2009, 11:43 PM
1st Gear

Wow, tonight was the first drive in the rebuilt car. This car has some power to it, i didn't expect it to be that much.

This thing feels like my diesel truck for acceleration and off the line torque but if feels like my old 96 A4 with the 2.8 for how nimble it is.

Very, Very happy with it.

The only bad part is I built this car for my wife. Oh well.

JR

Old 10-02-2009, 08:17 AM
2nd Gear

Well, I think you should be careful before you give that car to your wife considering the work you have just done on it. Sometimes these things fail for no apparant reason. So, I would highly recommend that you drive it AT LEAST another 2000 miles before giving it to her!

Then, of course, there are all those other items that will need to be checked out, such as brakes, suspension, transmission, muffler bearings, etc., so, as I see it, it may be months, years even, before you can safely let her drive it!

Good luck!

Bob

Old 10-02-2009, 09:28 AM
1st Gear

I already thought of that and did all the items such as all brakes, all four new bearings, motor mounts, exhaust flex pipes,three new brake hoses, two new axles and a brand new 12 piece front control arm kit while the car was apart.
This is why I bought the car in late February, and it's just now on the road.

I hate doing things twice.

JR