S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

What can Cause CRANK w/no Start??? PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 11:18 AM
1st Gear
Default What can Cause CRANK w/no Start??? PLEASE HELP

My car has been on the fritz for a couple weeks now, about 2 weeks ago I went to start it and it just cranked and cranked but wouldnt start. I replaced the ICM and an ignition relay, neither of these worked out for me. I have tested almost hte entire car to attempt to find the problem area, can the alarm system cause it not to start or would this be the ECM?

Please help me get my car started again!!! Thanks for any help

Old 07-25-2009, 06:24 PM

bad fuel pump? blown fuse?

Old 07-25-2009, 11:56 PM
2nd Gear

yeah.. whats your fuel pressure? have you checked for spark?? i mean theres a million things it could be.. eliminate the basics..

Old 07-28-2009, 09:56 AM
1st Gear

My car is doing the same thing but it starts most of the time but sometimes after its been driven and ill let it sit hot for like 20 mins ill go to turn it on and it will just crank and crank and no start, there is no fuel going to the injectors but the pump is fine because after i let the car cool for like another 10 min it will start up like there was nothing wrong. I am convinced that it is the rpm crank position sensor i just ordered one yesterday and am waiting for it to be shipped here then i gotta get it installed ill let you know if it cures the problem. I don't think its the ICM because there are two of them and i disconnected one of them just to see if i could start the car and it started fine then did the same to the other and same thing started fine but ran like garbage. then disconnected both and then it wouldn't start so the odds of both going bad at the same time is weird. so then i disconnected the crank sensor plug and there it was the same exact symptoms i was getting crank crank crank no fuel in system to fire up. Its also not the fuel pump for me at least because when the car does start fine i disconnect the pump to see the symptoms and the result is a car that starts then bogs out of fuel because there is no pressure and i can do this several times and it will just bog so i don't think its the pump. i think its the crank sensor i've googled the hell out of this and i only came across one person that had an s4 that had the same problem and he said it was the crank sensor so we will see what happens i will let you know immediately the results. Oh yeah there are no check engine lights coming on either in my car if that helps you.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

Good news it was a bad crank sensor. Fixed the problem easy to install just a little tight. Hope you figured out what was wrong with your car if you haven't yet you should try this it only cost 63 shipped off ebay original part too!

Old 08-01-2009, 11:37 PM
4th Gear

Have a 97 Intrepid doing the same thing... fuel, spark, map, crank sensor, cam sensor, etc all good... this ECU, however, will cut spark and fuel if you crank for more than 3 sec with out starting so VERY hard to troubleshoot... I havent figured out if the AUDI ECU's do the same thing or not but if they do, it makes it very hard.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

Have you scanned for any codes? I had a similar problem but I ecu completely died. Put in a new one and fixed the problem. It was pretty obvious the ecu was the problem when the vag-com was unable to get a connection with the ecu.

Easy thing to check...

Old 11-26-2010, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

I have the crank-crank-crank but won't start symptom. I DO have spark to each spark plug, and I do have pressurized fuel to rails. Could this be a bad crank position sensor (engine speed sensor)? I noted no engine codes. It ran fine the previous day and then the next morning, would not start, and has not started since (1 week).

Any tips or suggestions appreciated.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

does any of your dash light come on? might be ignition switch

Old 11-27-2010, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

All the dash lights come on and indicate as normal. I would like to try replacing this crank position sensor, but I can't physically find it.

Quick Reply: What can Cause CRANK w/no Start??? PLEASE HELP