B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A4 - Transmission Issue - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Default A4 - Transmission Issue - Please help!

Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Automatic

I have a 1999 A4 with about 115 thousand miles. I have been having transmission issues (the tranny is shifting really hard and loudly. Often the engine revs to 4000 rpm before it bangs into gear) so I took my car into the dealership to have the problem diagnosed. They told me I need a new transmission (with labor cost will come to around $6500). I asked for a report of what exactly was wrong with the car and this is what the report they provided to me said:

-Check fluid level/ pass
-Code in ECM for throttlebody
Code in TeM for brake ,light swltch-
Test,drove:to verify customers concern -used scan tool data to check
transmission torque converter/ pass
Used scan data to check for valve body operation - Pass
-use scan data to check for correct solenoid engagement pass
-use scan data to monitor speed signals/ fail

test drove with shop foremen as to Verify diagnostic; shifting between first, into second and
second to third the transmission module cannot see the proper output speed, therefore the transmission module is forcing itself into gear at the last possible moment. There is no, repair procedure due to the failed item within the transmission. (Internal transmission parts are
non-serviceable). Technician recommends replacement of the complete transmission assembly.
Can diagnose throttle body and brake lightswitch after transmission repair.

What do you guys think? I don’t want to pay for a new transmission installation that will cost more than what the car is worth.

Thanks!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 12:23 PM

From the dealers notes it sounds like a speed sensor problem.

Ask the dealer exactly what sensor is the problem and do some research to figure out what the repair would involve.

It does not seem like a bad sensor should require a new transmission, just a new sensor. Call some local shops that specialize in Audi or VW transmissions and get there opinion.

If the transmission does need to be replaced (as a last resort) you can by used ones. My wife is replacing the transmission in her VW golf and the dealer was going to charge her $5000. After some searching, we found a place to install a used one for $1500 with a one year warranty.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the advice, can anyone else add anything to this?

Old 06-23-2009, 12:03 AM
1st Gear

I'd suggest changing the tranny fluid and filter yourself. Should cost you about $150 with Audi Fluid and less if you want to use another brand. Just b/c the fluid level is ok doesn't mean that it is clean. Likewise, try finding out where the speed sensor is and if you can replace it. If neither of these work, sell the car.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:23 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan
From the dealers notes it sounds like a speed sensor problem.
Not a vehicle speed sensor, output shaft speed sensor. From the symptoms, it sounds like a bad valve body. On a car with a notoriously weak trans and 115K miles, it's not wise to simply swap out a valve body and sensors for $4000 when the customer could come back at any moment complaining of slipping clutch packs or a torque converter clutch that wont engage.

There are other diagnostic paths to proceed with, but essentially, going into the trans will cost some coin and these particular transmissions are not worth rebuilding. They will likely find you need a new trans anyway and will have wasted hours of their time and your money beating a dead horse.

Your best bet is a junkyard trans replacement. To verify the issue, take it to another dealer for diagnosis without telling them what the first dealer found. If they come up with the same result, you'll know what your looking at and get the best price for replacing your trans with a junkyard swap-in.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:40 AM

If the transmission isnt slipping then you should probably invest a little time and effort into trying to fix it before investing thousands of dollars or selling the car.

The first thing I would do would be to find a vag-com and check the sensor outputs as you drive. Check for any numbers that are out of spec. If it is the output shaft speed sensor, you should look into changing it yourself, if possible. Maybe Tweaked knows what this would involve.

One thing to be careful with on the fluid change - the transmission adapts to the fluid viscosity. Make sure you put it into adaptive mode after the fluid has been changed so that it can properly adjust to the new fluid, or you could cause even more damage.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan
If the transmission isnt slipping then you should probably invest a little time and effort into trying to fix it before investing thousands of dollars or selling the car.

The first thing I would do would be to find a vag-com and check the sensor outputs as you drive. Check for any numbers that are out of spec. If it is the output shaft speed sensor, you should look into changing it yourself, if possible. Maybe Tweaked knows what this would involve.

One thing to be careful with on the fluid change - the transmission adapts to the fluid viscosity. Make sure you put it into adaptive mode after the fluid has been changed so that it can properly adjust to the new fluid, or you could cause even more damage.
NOOB here....
i just did a search on "adaptive mode" and didnt really find out a couple things that i need to know... first... what is adaptive mode, and second, how do you do this?
Sorry for the rookie questions, but Im an aircooled VW guy....and this is my first "real" car.

oh... ive got a 04 A4 1.8t...

thanks

Old 06-23-2009, 03:05 PM

^good questions

I read about it when doing research on the 4-speed transmission in my wife's golf. Apparently, the transmission is constantly adapting to drivers habits, the fluid conditions etc. A VW mechanic told me that changing the fluid can shock the system and cause damage because overtime it has adapted to the dirty transmission fluid. If you change the fluid and the old stuff is significantly different from the new clean stuff, then you could have a problem. All of the learning that the transmission did wont apply and potential problems could occur. You can effectively reset the learning or put it into unconditioned mode where it will adapt to current conditions and not rely so much or past conditions.

Im not sure exactly how you activate this mode for the 04 1.8t. For the VW it involved holding in the gas pedal, then braking in some sytematic way.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by alexpdx
Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Automatic

I have a 1999 A4 with about 115 thousand miles. I have been having transmission issues (the tranny is shifting really hard and loudly. Often the engine revs to 4000 rpm before it bangs into gear) so I took my car into the dealership to have the problem diagnosed. They told me I need a new transmission (with labor cost will come to around $6500). I asked for a report of what exactly was wrong with the car and this is what the report they provided to me said:

-Check fluid level/ pass
-Code in ECM for throttlebody
Code in TeM for brake ,light swltch-
Test,drove:to verify customers concern -used scan tool data to check
transmission torque converter/ pass
Used scan data to check for valve body operation - Pass
-use scan data to check for correct solenoid engagement pass
-use scan data to monitor speed signals/ fail

test drove with shop foremen as to Verify diagnostic; shifting between first, into second and
second to third the transmission module cannot see the proper output speed, therefore the transmission module is forcing itself into gear at the last possible moment. There is no, repair procedure due to the failed item within the transmission. (Internal transmission parts are
non-serviceable). Technician recommends replacement of the complete transmission assembly.
Can diagnose throttle body and brake lightswitch after transmission repair.

What do you guys think? I don’t want to pay for a new transmission installation that will cost more than what the car is worth.

Thanks!!!
This is the real trap with a car, repairs are more than the present value. The best people I know on this subject "HRGWest", the owner is Joe Henry. HRG prepares the auto feature "Behind the Wheel" . They invented the whole car test thing! He raced cars, build race tracks the whole deal. HRG helped me with a BMW, engine block problem. From the factory, the cylinder bores were off center, and out of spec. Prove that to BMW ! He did it.
Best of luck,
joe-henry@att.net

Old 06-24-2009, 12:11 AM
4th Gear

how are all the mounts? snub, tranny motor.

i had issued with my tranny, same crap 1st would slip out to about 4k then i the car would jerk and u hear a bang as it goes into the next gear. i went to the dealer and they charged me 900$ to change the tranny fluid and a main seal. but i only say check the mounts cause ive heard of tranny issues due to bad mounts

Quick Reply: A4 - Transmission Issue - Please help!