Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Fan relay problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Fan relay problem?

Hi guys,

need your help here.

My A/C is not pushing cold air and my car overheats if it does not move after a while. With the So Cal weather getting hotter I need to get this resolved asap.(it hit 101 degrees yesterday and today)

My conclusion is that the fans are not working for some reason.

1) Where is the fan relay located? Does VAG detect relay problems?

2) Is there a DYI for freon refill?

Thank you all, much appreciated.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

Hey azn..I've been dealing with the same problem since last summer..It's your Fan control module located underneath the batter..Thing is though..I've replaced my module 3 times now. Either I bought crap modules, fans are pulling to many amps, or the fan motors themselfs are shot...Now i've troubleshooted everything i possibly could have..the radiator fans dont run on a fuse themselves. The module is what gives them power.These modules are pretty easy to replace.. it's a little rectangular box. When you take out your battery, take out everything that the battery is connected to etc. the module is under the metal wall the battery sits on and there are two screws holding it in. I'd suggest purchasing your module from germanparts.com the part number is
1J0919506K it's like 115 bucks. Now if you have the same problem as i do, then I would suggest having someone check to see if your radiator fans are actually working and not pulling to many amps.. otherwise you could possbily short out your new module.

p.s. shut your car off when sitting and take routes you know aere that busy..don't want to **** anything up..Audi tech told me not to even drive my car but screw that.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

did you check the fuses on top of the battery?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:02 AM
1st Gear

I did, idk if azn did tho..

Old 05-20-2009, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

Yah man thanks guys!

I finally had the chance to take a look at this. I found the fuse on top of the battery burnt out. I replaced all 3 fuses with better quality ones; the AC+fans came back online!

I did buy the relay however but I guess I will hold on to it till it fails...

THANKS A MILLION!

Old 05-20-2009, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

Wish mine was that easy.. i"m still having problems heh..Put the new module in and the fans are still out..Good news is the ac and the auxilary water pump are working again.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Default Same TT problem

My 2001 TT is doing the same thing A/C and rad fan not working - Changed thermoswitch and relay module - still not working. No power to Thermoswitch but power after we changed the module but then imediatealy after power to switch stopped when A/C turned on.

Help!!!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:31 PM
2nd Gear

Same thing happened to my car.
The fan switch unit was fine, but the actual driver's side fan was busted.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

My Main Coolant Fan isn't working anymore. I will check the fuses and see if that helps. Otherwise should I get a new fan or a relay first. Those things aren't cheap and I hate to replace both if I don't have to. My Temp gauge is passing the middle mark and that's the only reason I checked the fan. The secondary fan is working but the primary isn't.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:30 PM

are the fuses located with the rest of the fuses? what is the "black box" with wires that sits on top of the battery?
i haven't seen my drivers side fan run even with the temp gauge 3/4 of the way to H. i would like to check the fuses before i take it to be diagnosed but i don't know were they are.

Quick Reply: Fan relay problem?