B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Power Steering Fluid CONFUSION!! :o

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 01:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Power Steering Fluid CONFUSION!! :o

I've got a 97 A4 1.8 QT I bought used a little over 2 years ago. I recently found out my power steering fluid was very very low. I opened it up and took a look and found it has yellow fluid in the chamber.

Everything I read says the fluid should be dark GREEN (Pentosin or OEM). Well, whatever's in here is yellow, not green. I really don't want to pay $180 to flush this stuff and put the green in, so I'd like to top it off with whatever's in there. Is there any way to tell what type of fluid I have?

I'm really confused on the mineral/non-mineral issue -- is there such a thing as a yellow mineral-based PS fluid? And what might it be called so I can get some? I read somebody's thread talking about yellow Merc fluid. Is this mineral-based? And what brands does it go by?

Auto parts stores are NO help. The guy sold me a bottle of Valvoline 75,000 mile PS fluid before I did this web research. He said it would work. But now I'm not sure. The Valvoline's clear, but there's no way for me to tell if it's mineral-based or not.

Thanks!

Augie

Old 02-01-2009, 02:29 PM
3rd Gear

http://www.minicarparts.net/Parts/82_11_0_148_132.cfm

that is basicly the only fluid that should be in there. pentosin 11S. there may be another mineral based fluid that is yellow but i wouldnt take a chance in destroying my steering rack. you will almost never find mineral based PS fluid in regular auto parts stores.

just buy about 2 cans of the pentosin stuff and flush it yourself, they are about $20 per can. drain all the fluid in the resevoir with a suction pump or turkey baster. refill it with the correct stuff. drive for a few miles and let the fluid thats in the steering rack mix with the new stuff. drain the resevoir again, refill with the correct stuff, and repeat one or two more times. you just saved $140 by doing it yourself, and you saved $800 by not having to replace your power steering rack.

BTW that valvoline WONT work. dont put that in there.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:53 PM
5th Gear

^+1. swap that fluid out ASAP. you have no idea the amount of headaches you are about to cause by leaving that in there

Old 02-01-2009, 08:33 PM
1st Gear
Default Thanks guys

Okay, I was afraid I was going to have to flush it. I will give it a try. I found some instructions here: http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_f...steeringfluid1
Changing PS Fluid:
1. The Audi power steering fluid reservoir is located on the drivers side inner fender well in the engine compartment right behind the head lamp.
2. Locate the oil cooler tubing in front of the radiator for Audi power steering fluid. Find the rubber hose that attaches to the tubing located near the drivers side lower corner of the radiator. Disconnect the hose and drain the Audi power steering fluid.
3. Flush the old Audi power steering fluid out of the Audi steering rack and pinion. Turn the steering wheel full lock side to side about 10 times. This sequence pushes the Audi power steering fluid out of the steering rack and into the fluid reservoir in order for it to drain out.
4. Some models have a sleeve type filter screen inserted in the fill hole of the Audi power steering fluid reservoir. If it has the filter, remove it and clean it. Clean out the sediment that also exists on the bottom of the Audi power steering fluid reservoir.
5. Reinstall the Audi power steering fluid hose removed in step (2) and fill the reservoir with G002000 Audi power steering fluid.
6. Start the engine and let the car run for 10 seconds at a idle. Important! Do not rev the engine up. Revving the engine could cause power steering pump damage.
7. Refill the Audi power steering fluid reservoir again with G002000 hydraulic steering fluid.
8. Start the engine and let the car run at a idle turn the steering wheel full lock about 10 times from side to side.
9. Turn the engine off and top off the Audi power steering fluid in the reservoir.
I did read on another forum (can't find link anymore) that you're supposed to have the front wheels elevated when you do the "Turn the steering wheel full lock side to side about 10 times." Does this make sense?

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2009, 10:23 PM
5th Gear

makes it a whole lot easier and faster to turn the wheels

Old 02-02-2009, 06:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Problem Resolved (the easy way)

Still not sure what the yellow fluid in there was, I went down to the Audi dealer here to buy a bottle of the OEM power steering fluid and asked the mechanic if it's possible that my fluid may have turned yellow over time. He told me that Audi used to use a yellow power steering fluid! I can't believe I was unable to find this info on the internet after searching for two days. Anyway, he said it would be fine to mix the new green with the older yellow fluid.

I hope this saves someone else out there a headache.

Augie

Old 03-08-2009, 08:38 PM
1st Gear
Default UPDATE ** New problem related to Power Steering **

Oi... Okay, it's been more than a month I think since I added the PS fluid and now out of the blue I got in the car yesterday and the thing is making an awful racket just turning the steering wheel in the parked position. Sounded horrible and unsafe to drive so I turned it off and checked the PS fluid tank. The fluid was all foamy and bubbly, which I know I've seen reference to before -- air in the system is what I read on the web. They say it might be caused by a PS leak, so I left it off all day and overnight and checked the fluid again. It's not foamy anymore and the level is at the proper level...

Any ideas/help out there for this would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if this is even safe to drive to a mechanic... it sounds terrible.

Augie

Old 11-15-2009, 06:34 PM

I am having the same issue. Since I have to go and fix my serpetine belt I plan on replacing all the clamps on the intake line between the reservoir and the pump. I will let you know how it works out. I plan on draining and refilling the fluid as well.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 PM
2nd Gear

You should try bleeing the lines. I don't know how it is with audis, but with my current car you need to elevate the front wheels, take off the resevoir cap and turn the wheels side to side a few times with the engine off, Then turn it on and do it again.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:34 PM
4th Gear

Just because an Audi mechanic told you Audi used to use yellow fluid does NOT mean that the yellow fluid in your car is the same stuff they used to use, because the car came with green stuff in it.

I would flush and replace with either Pentosin 11s or with OEM G002000 from the dealership, and then bleed it per the instructions above and top it off. If worse comes to worst, remanufactured racks can be had for around $400 off the interweb, and there are instructions for replacing it over on AudiWorld.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid CONFUSION!! :o