Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

leaking convertible top, please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Default leaking convertible top, please help

Hey guys,
I currently have a 2002 Audi TT convertible and recently I have noticed that the driver side floor boards were soaked! Under my feet and behind the seat. Im not very car savvy so took it in and the mechanic said either 1) AC drain clog or 2) leaky roof. Well he checked the AC and told me it wasn't that so I assume it has to be the roof. He vaccummed out the water, and then I noticed that when I drove it off, under my feet it got wet ( I assume he didn't get all the water and the pressure from my foot just made it show). It hasn't been more wet since then. However, last night it started pouring rain, and was pouring when I woke up. The floor behind my seat is soaking wet, along with the driver side portion of where the convertible top is held when it is down. I noticed a seam leak towards the front that may cause the part under my feet to be wet (although it wasn't as wet as the back this morning).

I tried to look around to see if I saw any visible leaking in the back, but didn't see any. Also, could it be something besides a roof leak??

Do you guys have any ideas what I could do before taking it in again to another expensive mechanic just for them to do something I could have done relatively easily myself??

Also, I have that problem where the convertible top light stays on even when the top is locked closed (I read other posts and will try to do the quick fix when I can).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
~Jess

Old 09-28-2008, 01:59 PM

interesting enough - I am having the exact same problems....leaking roof & convertible light stays on...2004 w/24,000 miles...I tried spaying water on the roof while I was inside watching for leaks....but couldn’t find any…I did notice that the water seemed to puddle up on the drivers side near where the window/roof meets near the door handle…it seemed to run down the door jam and if you open the door it will run inside. One question, do you park your car on an incline? Front end facing down hill? If so, it may be running in front the bottom of the door jam….driver side…let me know if you find any solutions…..TP in NC

Old 09-28-2008, 06:31 PM
SoCal Crew Member

And this is one of the main reason why I didn't get a convertible when I bought this car.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:49 PM

I would dry out the car and then have a friend hose down the car while i was in it to see where the leak might be coming from. Just a thought. Recreate the situation and hope to see results.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:01 AM

Thanks guys for your help.
Well, after the downpour, I noticed that my back window is coming apart from the roof This would probably explain the puddles in the back, but Im not so sure about under my feet. There is a minor (and I mean very minor) leak at the top of the drivers side window where the black rubber perpendicular to the roof meets it (between the triangle window and real window). But its soo small I don't know how it could cause such a HUGE puddle
I do appreciate all of your help though! Thanks!