Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

2003, Audi A6 3.0L V6 - 14.8 MPG, Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Question 2003, Audi A6 3.0L V6 - 14.8 MPG, Please Help!

Hey all.

I have tried to fix this issue multiple times with my mechanic, but I have never been able to get these following problems to replicate themselves, or at least to the point where the mechanic knows what is wrong.

1. Car produced white smoke out of the tail pipes a week ago. It happened momentarily, but has not reproduced itself since that time.
2. Air conditioning system produces a loud noise and vibration when the car is first started. This is not the normal fan startup noise...My brother and friend have Audis (both A6s, a 2002 & 2004) and their cars do not make this noise or have any of the other problems I'm experiencing.
3. Car/engine shakes intermittently when I come to a stop. This does not happen all the time.
4. Biggest issue (I think) - Transmissions acts funny. I feel like my automatic drives like a stick. Probably 80% of the time, my engine will accelerate to 3200 RPMs (in gears 2-4) or so and will not shift unless I punch through it or slow down. It generally shifts pretty hard during this 80%. Also, if I slow down, the car downshifts and it feels like a stick when its slowing down.

There are probably other things that I am missing. I bought the car in December and have had issues with it from the beginning. The title is clear.

I just don't know what to do at this point. Anyone's suggestions or thoughts would be a HUGE HELP. Thanks for reading.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:19 PM
2nd Gear

1. The white amount of smoke may just have been some moisture trapped in your exhaust. If it does not come back regularly, things are normal.

2. Turn off the A/C and check if the engine makes particular sounds. It just may be the compressor bearing; not the end of the world.

3. Engine shaking can be caused by misfiring or chocking. New plugs? Air filter? Engine Check Light indicating a bad coil pack? Your MAF may be mis-reading.

4. Funny that you would put your biggest issue as #4. Anyway I think I would first replace the transmission fluid and filter to rule out the basic problems. Check the old fluid for metal particles that would indicate a major issue. A small amount of fine particle is normal. When in doubt take pictures and post them here so we can review for you.

There is a lot to be said for proper maintenance, but it can be difficult to know what the previous owner did, or didn't do, unless you get all records.
One more thing... check your brakes! You probably have no idea what shape they are in.. and your life kinda depends on them! :-)

Old 09-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Unhappy A man came home form work late!

bump up then lurkA man came home form work late, tired and found his 5 years old son waiting for him at the door. "Daddy,may I ask you a questIon ?" "Yeah, sure, what is it?" replied the man. "Daddy, how much do you make an hour? " " If you must know, I make $20 an hour."" Oh,"the little boy replied, with his head down, looking up, he said, "Daddy, may I please borrow $10" the father was furious, "If the only reason you askedthat is so you can borrow some moneyto buy a silly toy, then you go to bed." The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door. After about an hour or so,the man had calmed down. And started to think. Maybe there was something he really neededto buy with that $10 and he really didn't ask for money very often. The man went to the door of the iIttle boy's roomand opened the door."Are you asleep, son?" he asked. "no daddy," replied the boy. "I've been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier." said the man, "Here's the $10 you asked for." the little boy sat straight up, smiling. "Oh, thank you daddy!" he yelled. Then, reaching under his pillow he pulled out some crumpled up bills. The man, seeing that the boy already had money, started to get angry agaIn. The little boy slowly counted out his money, then looked up at his father. "Why do you want more money? Is you already have some ?" the father asked. "Because I didn't have enough, but now I do. "the little boy repiied, "Daddy , I have $20 now. Can I buy an hour of your time ?Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you."Thsale is a professional, loyal and reliable wow gold supplier online, we pioneered selling cheap wow gold. Welcome to thsale buy world of warcraft gold Buy Cheap WoW Gold, World of Warcraft Gold, Please look here! We are a Great MMORPG company. wow money and wow items,which is very cheap WOW Gold!All US Server 24.99$/1000G on sell! Cheap wow gold,rs powerleveling,wow power leveling,Buy Cheapest/Safe/Fast WoW US EU Gold Power leveling --------------------------------our wow gold site:buy WoW Gold,cheap WoW Gold,free WoW Gold, buy wow power leveling,cheap wow power leveling,

Old 09-16-2008, 02:10 PM

i'd check the coils for issue # 3. i had to have those replaced when i had a similar issue going on with my a4 (this was at about 70k miles)

Old 09-19-2008, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

do u use cheap gas or expensive???